Supra running funny

I<3Supras

Drft What do u mean drft?
Mar 31, 2005
Southern, Ca
well When i start the car its sounds fine for a few seconds then it makes a weird sound. The engine kinda shakes more then its suppose to which i can notice shakes the whole car. When i rev it, it sounds like pa pa pa like a beat up old truck. Any ideas? i would appreciate it

Shawndude

Mar 30, 2005
Van BC
Does it do it every time you start it, or just sometimes, or just under certain conditions (heat soak?).

Checked the compression lately?

I<3Supras

Mar 31, 2005
Southern, Ca
justed started to do it the Other day. yesterday it ran good then like a few hours later i started it again then it ran like that. It was low on gas so i filled up the tank alittle and started it and let it run thinking it would go away. So ever since yesterday it runs like shit.

I<3Supras

Mar 31, 2005
Southern, Ca
The car runs fine after it idles for a few mintues then when I rev the engine it shakes more harder then usually and makes a sound like it struggling until it gets into the high rpms then it goes away. I checked the vaccum lines and from what what i can see eventhing is fine. Any body know what it is?

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
the only code reader you need is the TSRM, a paper clip and your own two eyes.

if you can, try to get the car to stall out while it is running like crap. when i had a bad AFM, it wouldnt throw a code until the motor actually stalled.

P

profuse007

I<3supra, where did you get that front kit?
what is it called?
plastic or FGlass?

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
I<3Supras said:
I'll stall the car and see if it throws a code when i get home from school

eh i mean more like, if the car wants to die (as if it had a bad AFM) then let it die. dont keep it going by playing with the gas pedal.

I<3Supras

Mar 31, 2005
Southern, Ca
Well its not like that. Its Runs like a old truck motor then it calms down. Then its fine but when i rev it, it sounds like its choking/struggle (engine shakes hard then usual) until i get to high rpms then it goes away. The engine doesn't seem like it will stall it just runs shitty.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
I<3Supras said:
Well its not like that. Its Runs like a old truck motor then it calms down. Then its fine but when i rev it, it sounds like its choking/struggle (engine shakes hard then usual) until i get to high rpms then it goes away. The engine doesn't seem like it will stall it just runs shitty.

Boost Leak?

M

MisterTurbineTwister

You have a dead cylinder. something is causing one or more of your cylinders to misfire.

In order to get good idle and a smooth rev, you need the following for good combustion:

1. Good compression and valve seal
2. Good Air to fuel ratio
3. Good timing
4. Good spark
5. Good, leak free vacuum/boost

It could be one of the following and most to least likely in this order:

1. Bad spark plugs or wires
2. Leaking vacuum
3. Bad or dirty fuel injectors or connectors
4. Bad timing
5. Bad coil packs or connectors
6. Bad air flow meter or connector
7. Bad compression/ ring seal

Other things like a bad alternator, fuel pump, cam position sensor, a bad ignitor, or other wiring/connectors etc. could cause these problems, but when these things fail, they usually prevent the car from running at all.

I would put money on the spark plug wires being at fault. They are commonly overlooked (how many miles are on yours and when was the last time you changed them if at all?)... Most wires are rated for 30,000 miles and should be checked when you change plugs every 10,000 -15,000 miles.

I would also buy a GOOD set of spark plugs while you're at it.

If your engine has at least 60,000 on it it would be a good idea to check your timing, as timing belts stretch over miles of operation and timing could be affected to some degree of retardation. It's a good idea just to check.

If you have REPLACED the plugs AND wires and still experience the problem, you may have to buy a new coil pack if you still experience a dead wire. If the problem is not electrical related by process of elimination (replacing wires/plugs) it's probably a vacuum leak or it could very well be your Air flow meter. Check the wiring running into the connector at the air flow meter. Sometimes they get brittle and can crack or break completely. If the connections look shady, fix ALL of them and not just the wires that look bad. Do ONE AT A TIME with the connector, because there are two brown wires that go into the connector and they must stay in the same place and not be confused.

If the connector looks good, you know that the spark plugs and wires are new and installed correctly (also one at a time), you show 10 degrees of initial advance timing at idle and you have Zero vacuum leaks, run the TSRM test on your air flow meter and replace it if needed.

Misfires are usually vacuum, electrical or timing related and are seldom fuel or compression related. If it does have a fuel problem or compression problem, chances are that your engine also needs electrical work (wire connectors, components, spark plug wires or plugs, etc.)

Just check the easyest and cheapest thing first (as it usually fails first) and go from there.

Last edited by a moderator:

antman

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
TN
check coil pack harness, coil packs, plugs and wires. most likely problem is spark or fuel

I<3Supras

Mar 31, 2005
Southern, Ca
Well i think i fold the problem. Oil leaked into the combustion chamber somehow and that caused my engine to misfire and hesitate. now anyone know how to solve the oil leak problem?