Supra rattle noise

bilalkq

Jan 12, 2009
fresno,CA
Hey guys i m trying to figure out a rattling noise in my supra(7mgte). My mechanic says its a piiston slap. I dont get any knocking noise on idle and when the car is cold. But wgen it warms up a little then i get a weard rattling noise. I get it arnd 2000 rpm n when i let go off the gas it rattles again. Need help

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
If you've got a mechanic's stethoscope listen to the bottom end while a buddy revs the engine. If you don't have a stethoscope, you could pick one up (they're pretty cheap) or you can use something solid against your ear and the block/oil pan, such as a broom handle, screwdriver, etc. You should be able to pinpoint where the noise is coming from by trying different parts of the engine.

Unfortunately I'd go with Poodles though. Piston slap is typically the opposite of what you described, it's noticeable when the engine is cold and then clears up as the engine warms up.

danielMA70

Apr 14, 2009
Germany
Hi bil,

i´ve got the same sounds like you discribe....

so you push the throttle pedal and if you release the pedal die rattle sound appears when the rpm is between 2000 and 1500 rpm ??????? so give me an feedback if its the same sound ,...

i´m searching since a year and i´ve many ideas and i think i´m not far away from the problem ....
greetings daniel from germany

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Mild rod knock tends to appear as the engine goes from load to decel. Best method I've found to make it happen is to pump the throttle so that the RPMs peak around the 2500 mark, and you can hear the rattle as the engine transfers from spinning up to starting to spin down.

Diagnosing it is rather simple as well - with the engine on, carefully pull and replace each plug wire. If the rattle stop with one of the plug wires disconnected, you have a knock in that cylinder.