Supra Performance question (need a hint to what you think may be the problem)

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It's tough when you "kinda" understand how these settings work in relation to each other. When I turn down the RSP the turbo got pretty tame.
Trying a setting of

A setting
OFS 30%
DRO 100%
WRN 15 psi
OPT (peak hold) 14.0
(WRN 15.0)

B setting
OFS 10%
DRO 95%
OPT 12 psi
WRN 14 psi
RSP 15 %

To see differences.

Funny how the first numbers make me hit fuel cut and the second set of numbers just seem like I'm walking... the more I play the weaker it feels.

Starting to really think there must be a boost leak somewhere and the more I run, the more it leaks... very hard to hit 12 psi on the turbo now.. I can spike to 12 and then watch it fall to 6...

from what I can see, I either have a dying turbo or a leak that is getting worse. Still haven't had a chance to look at the actuator or the wastegate...

Last edited:

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
Good to see your out driving your car. Sorry to hear about the issues with your motor right now. I cant wait to see what happens when you put the new HKS controller on. How much did that controller run you? Are you going to replace the original MAF with a MAP and Temp sensor setup?

I vote new turbo. I have been looking at this one

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tnt-11226-bb/overview/

Albert Has some really good ones as well so no matter what your gonna be better off. I saw beals is out in Alberta as well. Good to see more people in Canada lol. I know I hate that we dont get E85 fuel. Instead we get horrible mixed fuel that's totally inconsistent and hard to tune to.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Controller is about 2200.00 plus between 550-1000 for the harness (depending on what it takes to wire up all the sensors + changing the 7M plugs to the yellow.. or whatever we decide on doing). Replacing the Intake and MAP sensor, adding an intake air temp sensor, 3 bar map sensor, innovative wideband and possibly one or two other sensors once we get it all mapped out.

All-in-all about 4500 min. for all parts and installation + tuning time. (maybe another 1000'ish)

Most of this depends on how the final install will happen and if I keep the stock ECU on board or not. There are a lot of options...

I would only regret E85 here if I was running on a track... for street, I could care less. I just use Co-op Premium 91 Octane unless I am going on a highway trip. Then I will use the Husky 94 Octane because its far more convenient.

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
I was using chevron 94 or shell 91 for the most part in my last turbo car. 4500 seems like its about right I guess. If I keep the 7m I am going to run a custom FFIM so I will be able to change to a GM 3 wire map sensor and maybe even find a good temp sensor to go in there. I keep looking at my car and thinking it might just be better to do the 1jz vvti swap. I will have the 7m in it before then so we will see how I feel once its all back running.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
well.. drove to Lloydminster in nice sunshine and clean roads at about 140 kph the whole way with no issues. Played with the boost controller and got it to not spike. Its a weaker boost, but stays off fuel cut. Then I left this morning right after it snowed 3 inched... yikes!
Roads were a mostly dry except for one 1/2 hour stretch which was almost ice (a 1/2 ton left the road, I just sailed through at 135 kph in a straight line..) and then another 45 minute stretch which was a complete white out. Couldn't see more than 4 car lengths ahead of me. 4 of us just cruised in the fast lane at about 130 kph with our hazards on and about 6 car lengths in between each other... so no incidents.

Man... those HSD coilovers are something to get used to. Luckily they are worn in now (after about 2000 km of driving) so they aren't rock hard anymore, but I had to increase the stiffness to keep my bumper from scraping on dips at high speed.

And... when I got home (now that I got the EVC-S more or less setup good) I boosted 2nd twice coming in to my house with the window open. Both times... a nice loud whistle at about 13 psi. Guess I do have a leak. Couldn't get it to whistle after that though, but it was idling rougher...

Last edited:

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
been saying this is a boost leak.. even at 13 psi, my 57 trim pulls its ass off. my 57 doesn't pull that good when I have it on my low setting, which is everything zerod out.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Well the signs were all there but I still can't locate where the leak is. Will see if I can't get it fixed this week. Would really like this to function correctly prior to any stand alone install

I think it did the whistle at about 12 psi, but it may have been lower. Not easy to replicate though.
The odd thing is that the turbo is lack-luster overall compared to the original 57 trim. I would think that a 60-1 should be slightly more "awe-inspiring" with its higher flow through rate. However, the rate might mean that it maxes out a lot sooner due to the small housing size.

the leak has to be related to the new intercooler because everthing "impressive" occurred prior to the new intercooler. I would think with an intercooler upgrade, even with the slight pressure drop due to the larger system, performance would be higher overall.

Oh.. and 543 km took 60 litres at 140 kph.. which equals 9litres per 100 km... if I do my math right.. is that 25 mpg? If I am correct, that's pretty damn impressive considering the speed (almost 90 mph). I expected more like 17 mpg.

Last edited: