Supra on the Road Course

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
Heres a few videos from my car out on Blackhawk Farms Raceway and USAIR so far this year. I have a few more events coming up so I will keep updating the thread with new videos.

[video=youtube;A3e6vHhuJEU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3e6vHhuJEU&feature=relmfu[/video]

[video=youtube;vb1aJfVHX8M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb1aJfVHX8M&feature=relmfu[/video]

[video=youtube;Qn1tDbkfJkA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn1tDbkfJkA&feature=relmfu[/video]

[video=youtube;4j-LdgsO5no]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j-LdgsO5no&feature=relmfu[/video]

Enjoy!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I'm still a little jealous of your facilities man, I wish we had a road course near here... good driving on that auto-x!

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
te72;1847170 said:
I'm still a little jealous of your facilities man, I wish we had a road course near here... good driving on that auto-x!

yeah, I don't know of any road courses in Wyoming, and its too bad, they are the best place to use a Supra, or just about any car for that matter!

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
IJ.;1847933 said:
Nomex Arm Hair Dave?? ;)

Haha, yeah at that low speed auto-x's there are no rules for sleeves, so I get the Nomex Arm hair out!

Here is a fly by video on the main straight from Blackhawk Farms, there are a few more on my page. I'll slowly keep adding more videos from the two events as I have a ton of footage. Next event is in two weeks as well.

[video=youtube;ikazobQLCck]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikazobQLCck&list=UUCxSxhtt1DW53veboN2K7vg&index=1&feature=plcp[/video]

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
supradjza80;1847931 said:
yeah, I don't know of any road courses in Wyoming, and its too bad, they are the best place to use a Supra, or just about any car for that matter!
I don't believe there are any road courses in Wyoming, I know of precisely TWO drag strips. One being an 1/8th mile (woooo... lame), the other being further than the track in SLC.

Shame too, I'd settle for any motor sport that didn't involve DIRT...

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
te72;1848067 said:
I don't believe there are any road courses in Wyoming, I know of precisely TWO drag strips. One being an 1/8th mile (woooo... lame), the other being further than the track in SLC.

Shame too, I'd settle for any motor sport that didn't involve DIRT...

Yeah that is too bad. What is the closest road course for you?

Heres another video my friend put together with a quality camera.

[video=youtube;gpp-1zwsABk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpp-1zwsABk[/video]

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Closest track to me is MMP (Miller Motorsports Park), in Tooele, UT. About a 3 hour drive one way... they do have what they call "wide open Wednesdays" where you can run what you bring, as long as it passes tech. Trouble is, I work Wednesdays (always M-F), and it's like 8am until sunset. I would get there in time to run MAYBE a lap on a long day in summer. :p

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I'll see what I can do. I tend to drive my car to events though, so it's gotta make it back too. My car is in no way, shape, or form good for track abuse just yet. Gimme a couple years to finish up the widebody, and get it sorted. Should be good for a track slut then. :)

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
I have yet to tow my car to a single event (however as luck would have it I am towing it 8 hours to Brianerd International Raceway this coming weekend). I definitely understand the need to get the car ready for the track, but the most important thing is to get yourself ready for the track. Driving it often near the limit (not on the street!) normally helps!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I have a bit of experience with track like conditions (canyon road in Arizona that I used to semi-frequent), but that was in a Miata. Granted, the car was much better suited to the road than a Supra would be, but even still... a 15 minute balls-out 9/10ths run, and I was sweating quite a lot, and not from the heat either. I get what you're saying. ;)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Looks like you had some fun out there Dave... I like the guy who was riding shotgun, "wow, it does turn!" :rofl: Seems you got the same opinion from the girl on the side of the track too...

I take it they mix up the track layout every now and then? Seems like a versatile track.

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
Yep we run lots of different configurations there. The guy riding shot gun was auto-x'ing his Saturn Vue sort of as a joke so he was commenting how the Supra could turn a lot better then the Vue. Per usual the car was an absolute blast out there.

Here is a video of the Vue :)

[video=youtube;rjAqmjcuMok]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjAqmjcuMok&feature=youtu.be[/video]

JAMDUN17

Aug 1, 2011
Germantown MD
Did you do anything to get the engines prepared for track duty, such as oil coolers, oil pan baffles, slight overfill, ect. ? Im getting ready to get back to tracking the car but this will be my first time with a supra motor.

1James

Lurker
Mar 19, 2009
Bay Area, CA
supradjza80;1867634 said:
Video of my MK3 from today.

Awesome driving in this thread with both cars! Definitely got goosebumps when you went through the "esses" in the first run in this video.

Could you comment about how similar chassis/suspension setups for both cars are and how they compare to each other when handling at the limit? I hope I can drive my A70 like that some day.

Regards,
James

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
supradjza80;1867959 said:
Here is a video of the Vue :)
Dave... I've seen some shit in my time, but a Saturn Vue... on a track? You guys might be the only people in the history of the Saturn Vue to have ever done that. Surprised that thing didn't scrub for all its life. :p

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
JAMDUN17;1875355 said:
Did you do anything to get the engines prepared for track duty, such as oil coolers, oil pan baffles, slight overfill, ect. ? Im getting ready to get back to tracking the car but this will be my first time with a supra motor.

From the looks of your sig I see you have a 1jz engine. For my 2jz I run it a little over full and I have a big 25 row oil cooler on it just to make sure it has as much cooling as possible for the long sessions. Otherwise on my 7m I run it a quart high, stock oil cooler (this will be changing to a thermostatic full flow setup this winter). I have had awesome luck with both of my motors.

1James;1875360 said:
Awesome driving in this thread with both cars! Definitely got goosebumps when you went through the "esses" in the first run in this video.

Could you comment about how similar chassis/suspension setups for both cars are and how they compare to each other when handling at the limit? I hope I can drive my A70 like that some day.

Thanks for the comments.

As far as suspension setups go, the mk3 is stock 92 springs/struts and whiteline adjustable ARB's. For wheels I run mk4 17's on it with stock size Extreme Performance summer tires like Dunlop z1 starspecs/Hankook RS3/Kuhmo XS/Nitto NT05. The car does not turn in nearly as well as my mk4, however it is definitely able to hold its own and does have very good mid corner grip levels. This car also has seized LCA eccentrics so it does not have a great alignment for road racing/auto-x right now. These will also be cut and replaced this winter so the car can get a proper alignment.

My Mk4 has Tein Flex Coilovers (784lb/inF,448lb/inR), AP Racing Big brakes up front, stock sways, -1.7 front camber, -1.3 rear camber, slight toe out front, slight toe in rear, +4 caster. For wheels the car has 18x9 front and 18x10 rear volk GT-N's wrapped in 245/35R18F and 265/35R18 rear Kuhmo XS tires. The has also been corner balanced. I think the handling of the car is excellant, it is just on the understeer side of neutral but since you can throttle on oversteer the car I like it like this (plus it takes away some worry of writing the car off on the really high speed tracks I sometimes run).

te72;1875564 said:
Dave... I've seen some shit in my time, but a Saturn Vue... on a track? You guys might be the only people in the history of the Saturn Vue to have ever done that. Surprised that thing didn't scrub for all its life. :p

Yeah it is definitely pretty funny but that VUE is not too bad out there, and definitely still fun for the driver. The guy driving it is currently building a road race oriented Datsun 510 so once that is done the VUE will probably be retired. We are hoping to fire the car up soon.