Supra Oil, Boost, and Fuel Fiasco!!!!!!!!!!

kapkaniMD

Jan 28, 2007
Tampa, FL
History: '91 Supra Turbo Targo, 5-sp, Turbonetics 60-1 D/BB, Bosch racing fuel pump, NO fuel pressure regulator, 550cc injectors, MAPECU, dual stage boost controller, sparco intercooler w/ all metal piping, etc.etc.etc

Ive been trying to get this car working properly now for months as soon as one thing is fixed another comes up...

Currently the situation is this.... Car idles at apx 1500 (no big deal) and rests at about -20 vacuum. There is currently an small/medium oil leak situation that only happens after the car heats up for a while and revs pretty high and/or boosts... It appears to be coming from around the exhaust manifold area about where the turbo connects (see picture)... No big deal except for the smoke that comes out after it blows on the down pipe and runs awhile...

OK so after starting the car for the first time in the day, I take it out for a couple of runs down the street... Car runs fine/perfect and boosts up to about lbs each time.. All good and fine until about the 3rd or 4th attempt at boosting where everything seems to go downhill. It comes on gradual where the car will just not go into boost and throttle response lags at like 4k rpms. Then as I continue you will hear (the loud bosch fuel pump) just cut off and the engine will actually shut off while driving.. It takes a good 5 seconds before you can hear it come back on and everything is fine again... This will gradually get worse and eventually start cutting out under normal driving (no boost)...

Under advice from here I tried replacing the fuel pump relay and it made no difference. I haven't messed with the MAPECU so its still set at the stock turbo with 550 injectors. I have installed a new j-tube... Umm I can think of anything else relevant to say...

Now does anyone think they can help me... I want to do the self boost leak test but I don't have a compressor.. and I don't mind taking the turbo off and checking the gaskets I just need to know which ones I need... But I am open for any suggestions as I want to get this car fixed already..

Thanks guys this forum has been extremely helpful in my endeavors....

kapkaniMD

Jan 28, 2007
Tampa, FL
I just read a post about someone saying to jump the harness for the fuel pump resistor if you have an aftermarket fuel pump?? Supposedly to give the fuel pump a constant 12v....Can anyone confirm/refute this?? and would you think this would keep my pump from the sudden loss of power?

kapkaniMD

Jan 28, 2007
Tampa, FL
ma7089 said:
weird, take more pictures of different angles.

how good of a condition is your head gasket in?

It has a MHG and is supposedly torqued really tight according to the previous owner, he gave me specifics but I cant seem to find them right now, but he said the head gasket should be bullet proof...

as far as more angles basically you cant really see anything from the top, so the oil seems to be tucked away under the manifold, SEEMS to be is key term, but I am kind of at a stand still of what to do so I will try anything

kapkaniMD

Jan 28, 2007
Tampa, FL
Also, I am reading about knock sensors causing similar problems with this car, while none of them were exactly the same problem, do you think this could be the cause at all??? Also I searched and still could not find the KS rewire thread, just the one where the guy is selling new connectors/kit.

Supra87T

2-Tone BLUE
Feb 23, 2006
Cincinnati, OH
I want to do the self boost leak test but I don't have a compressor.. and I don't mind taking the turbo off and checking the gaskets I just need to know which ones I need... But I am open for any suggestions as I want to get this car fixed already..

Boost leak won't cause you any problems if you have a MAP ECU. This is only relevant to cars with AFMs.

Sounds like you have a serious electrical issue though. Have you verified that the fuel pump gets ~12V while driving? Bad wiring can cause problems with the fuel pump cutting out.

kapkaniMD

Jan 28, 2007
Tampa, FL
Supra87T said:
Boost leak won't cause you any problems if you have a MAP ECU. This is only relevant to cars with AFMs.

Sounds like you have a serious electrical issue though. Have you verified that the fuel pump gets ~12V while driving? Bad wiring can cause problems with the fuel pump cutting out.

Well that sounds promising... The fuel pump usually has no problems at all during regular driving, only when its being pushed a little 8psi-10psi a couple of times it starts to freak out.. Someone here recomended the fuel pump relay so I did that and it didnt fix the problem. I read that if you jump the fuel pump resistor it gives it a solid 12v, I just did that but havent had a chance to give it a run yet.. Is there anything else I can check as far as wiring goes???

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Does the 60-1 use the same oil feed/ returns as the CT? I'm thinking one end of that feed/return system is what's oiling you up like that. I've had a bad return gasket, and it can pump out quite a bit of oil.

kapkaniMD

Jan 28, 2007
Tampa, FL
ATL88Supra said:
ok 1st off get a fuel pressure regulator i know there are alot of very good aftermarket ones out there i dont need to explane why haveing one is a good idea don't screw with the fuel system like that.

I got the car in the set-up that is currently on the car.. I dont know why the guy never put one on, I wasnt planning on putting anything into this car other than get it running (since it didnt when I bought it). If a fuel pressure regulator is the problem here then I dont mind springing for one.. I just bought the car to fix and sell so I definitely dont want an expensive one, any recommendations on cheap ones?? I saw a bunch on ebay... any comment on those??? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FUEL...007QQitemZ170134836366QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

kapkaniMD

Jan 28, 2007
Tampa, FL
Ok I think I might of been misleading in the opening statement, my NO fuel pressure regulator I mean that it doesnt have an aftermarket one.... Maybe some of you might not of picked that up but I should of been clearer. As far as codes I dont believe so, it kind of goes on and off, but I cant really pull the EFI fuse cause it resets my mapecu I believe (thats what I was understood to believe)

Supra87T

2-Tone BLUE
Feb 23, 2006
Cincinnati, OH
Check your codes for sure: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/TechTips/engine_error_codes.aspx

As far as the MAP ECU, it will not be reset by pulling the efi fuse or loosing power. Here is some info on the map ecu for you: http://www.mapecu.co.nz/map1.html. Also, there is a good thread on here somewhere about tuning it, but I would make absolutely sure you have a wideband before doing so.

Your high idle is more than likely related to the tps being out of adjustment and the ecu not seeing idl signal.

kapkaniMD

Jan 28, 2007
Tampa, FL
Kylar27 said:
What do you mean by having a new j-tube? is it drilled out or bypassed? If its not it should be.

I just disconnected the old one and added in a curved metal brake line,

I will try pulling the EFI fuse today and then check the codes and let you know. I know about the mapecu tuning thread cause I believe I was the one that started it..(at least I think I did, if not I am the one that reopened it)

And I will do a search on adjusting the TPS, it originally went high because the car was set too low for idle and would just shut off after being started unless you were holding the gas. So I just took the easy way out and adjusted the throttle cable. I tried lowering some via the throttle cable and cant seem to get it to go down.... bad choice by me I guess, but its not really a big deal.