Supra MK3 1JZ-GTE Tacho problem

manolaq

Aug 10, 2009
Greece
Hello,

I have a Supra MK3 with 1JZ-GTE and the last couple of months I have an electric problem. When I turn on the ignition and the tachometer is "playing" an also if you go near to the top of the cylinder head you can hear sparks from the coils. If you start the engine it will run for a few seconds and then it will stall. If you start it again it may work for another few seconds normally and then it will stall again. While the engine is running the tachometer is "playing" ex the engine is idling at 900rpm and the tacho is instantly going to 2000 and back to 900.

I have checked the below

1. Change igniter (three of them)
2. Change coils
3. Change plugs
4. Disconnect crank and cam position sensors, MAP, idle control valve, TPS

I also checked the error codes in the ECU and I got 14 and 21. 14 is ignition feedback (IGF) error. As mentioned above everything related to ignition has been changed and I have also checked the wires from ECU to igniter and everything looks normal.

[video=youtube;wYb0gEUAg1E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYb0gEUAg1E[/video]
[video=youtube;QVxgck3NvQY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVxgck3NvQY[/video]

Any ideas??

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Does it go away when you unplug the igniter?

Have you opened the Ecu to look at the caps?

manolaq

Aug 10, 2009
Greece
hvyman;2080044 said:
Does it go away when you unplug the igniter?

Have you opened the Ecu to look at the caps?

Hello hvyman. Thank you for your reply. Yes it does and I measured the ECU outputs and it seems with just the ignition on the ECU is sending signal to four of the six outputs to the igniter. Although last night I decided to open the ECU and it seems that there are leaky capacitors. So your diagnosis seems to be correct! :)

I will try to replace them with new ones and see how it works. Keep you posted. Thanks for the support