supra makes me mad! and a question (cooling system)

tomjan87

Apr 18, 2005
Madison, WI
ok so any of you who have been looking atmy posts lately maybe remember i just changed my hg stock toyota. I pulled the engine to do it..

I had a hell of a weekend, so here's the details, and a question at the end.
ok so i pulled engine,
new gaskets
vacuum lines
belts
fluids (everything)
batery wires and connections
re heat wrapped all wires
cleaned engine of grease dirt and made pretty nice

things i didnt change,
larger hoses, plugs, wires(year old) and some of the gaskets that i didnt feel like changing,

ok so heres the shitty part that pisses me off, and a couple of questions
i drove it friday night, all waswell, engine ran perfectly idles better than ever, and i thought all was well,

the next morning i checked everything, all good,

i take it camping an hour away, I get to my gf's house, and boom car wont start, I have power, 80% battery and plenty to turn car over, i check connections at the battery, the alternator, the ground, the starter and cleaned all of them, which was not easy at some other place, it started again,

question one: it did start then, but half an hour later, it would not start thank god it was a manual, I could push start it,

I checked all of them again, and it did not start this time.

so after that, its no big deal, push starting isnt hard, so i took it for a drive, and it started leaking coolant out of the hose that is blocked off at the back passenger side between the head and block against the firewall, i hope all cars have this and not just mine,

i thought it was a loose clamp, then th e whole end blew off and i lost all coolant. that was bad, overheated, and i hope it didnt hurt my new hg

so thankfully i had some high temp rvt sealer and i glued the fucker back together in hopes that it would make it home, and being labor day weekend nothing was open to get a new anything.

so good news it made it home

last question i hear a kind of gurgling noise from the coolant system, steam comming from the overflow tank is that just air bubbles in my cooling system?

ok so my rant is over and sorry for the long post had to vent,

so i dont think anyone knows me, but for the record ill be posting more often, just got high speed back, and I will be putting my build on the build site,

thanks for reading and sticking it out with me,

Joe

Alex91Mk3

timeshares exchange
Jun 30, 2006
Miami, Fl
www.myspace.com
If you had steam coming out of the resevoir, those bubbles you heard was probably your coolant/water boiling. When A similar situation happened to me it turned out it was the thermostat. The spring had stayed shut, preventing the coolant from pssing through. But didn't have the battery problem. Mi dos centavos parce.

kylefoto

I am not ASIAN!
May 7, 2006
Lynnwood, WA
www.myspace.com
Alex91Mk3 said:
If you had steam coming out of the resevoir, those bubbles you heard was probably your coolant/water boiling. When A similar situation happened to me it turned out it was the thermostat. The spring had stayed shut, preventing the coolant from pssing through. But didn't have the battery problem. Mi dos centavos parce.
If it is your thermostat, don't get a toyota, I've gotten two, both were faulty and stayed shut.

As for your not starting problem, it's a common problem with our era of Toyota cars' starters to do this, and gets worse when it gets hot. Could try replacing your contacts, that seemed to fix mine, or go to your local schucks, csk, whatever local auto store and get a lifetime warranty one and whenever it goes out, get it replaced for free.

tomjan87

Apr 18, 2005
Madison, WI
thanks guys, the thermo is fairly new i think. it stayed right at normal tempurature when i was driving it. so i dont know.

replace the contacts, what do you mean?

thanks guys.
Joe

PROJECT N00b

XBL: Mkiii DriFt3r
May 22, 2005
honolulu, california
www.myspace.com
My supra makes me mad too, NA AT and its slow...it was faster with the TPS unplugged. I also had the same problem with the overflow tank and the bubbling coolant, so i just bought me a new rad cap with a manual pressure release valve.

tomjan87

Apr 18, 2005
Madison, WI
mkIII noob, most likely its not the cap, its either air trapped or something, i dont know if a cap would do that, maybe. check those things first. anyways, thanks for reading lol

Joe