Supra is rattling like crazy when I rev near 3k RPM

TooGoode

rediculous DD
Mar 1, 2007
Chandler, Arizona
CyFi6;1121043 said:
Let me get this strait... Your mom is going to get mad at you because your dad broke your car... This has nothing to do with reliability. Blow a hose off a brand new car like that and watch the same thing happen. Thats like saying your car isnt reliable because you have to put oil in it to make it work. I think your family needs to go to some counseling before you put any money into this haha.
+1

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Not going to jump to conclusions, but if it IS rodknock, he owes you an engine. I don't know your dad, but it almost sounds like jealousy over you having something nicer than his...

omfgitsdonovan

Laag master
Jul 23, 2008
Burlington,WA
Poodles;1121047 said:
Not going to jump to conclusions, but if it IS rodknock, he owes you an engine. I don't know your dad, but it almost sounds like jealousy over you having something nicer than his...

Id agree with that

gsmokez

Feb 18, 2007
Brampton, Ontario
haha yea it's pretty fucked up guys I really don't know what to do although my mom was surprisingly cool about it, she told me to not worry about it and that I can fix it once I get the money because she also knows that there is no way he'll pay for it. Anyways I just wanted to know wouldn't I better off doing a rebuild instead of getting another motor? Reason I ask is I don't want to buy another motor and then run into similar problems later on.

Hey donovan yeah I remember you. I haven't been online for a long time because my laser doesn't work. How's your Supra?

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Yeah, it's definately better to have the motor rebuilt- it's the only way to really know that you're starting with a trouble-free motor. Sometimes, a freshly- rebuilt shortblock or longblock pops up on the for sale section. Now here's what you really should do now.
start the car up, and put a mechanic's stethescope down on the block near the piston areas and listen to see where the sound is really coming from. The easiest access is on the driver's side of course. have someone run the motor up a bit, as well as jab the throttle in short blips- this is an easy way to reveal rod knock.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
i wanna hear the noise.

even though its most likely rod kock we can't all assume it is. for those of us that have had it before a video would be all we need. after driving for 3 month on my rod kock motor i don't think i'll ever forget the noise. LOL

note: i got a junkyard motor from oregon to replace mine 1150 shipped. the motor was in really good condition. changed the hg and its has run strong ever since. if you do go that way. make sure to get a motor out of a car that had a automatic. less chance its been beaten to death. i don't trust jdm 7m's. maybe a jz motor, but no 7m.

gsmokez

Feb 18, 2007
Brampton, Ontario
yeah guys I'm home for lunch at the moment but once I get back from school I'm going to be posting a video up. Thanks for the input and please check back when I have the video and let me know what you think.

gsmokez

Feb 18, 2007
Brampton, Ontario
alright guys Ive posted the videos up. Please check back on the first post and PLEASE read the text above the videos. I really don't want people telling me how much of a dumbass I am because its not loud at all but it really was a lot louder than yesterday. Anyway guys please just let me know what you think.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Sounds like an exhaust leak as it's temp dependant. Its very possible given the water everywhere and the engine parts being hot as hell.

How's the oil pressure look?

gsmokez

Feb 18, 2007
Brampton, Ontario
um I actually didn't check that at all. My friend told me that I had some sort of leak from my engine bay before too but I'm not sure if he said intake manifold leak or exhaust manifold leak. What should the oil pressure be anyway? I'm going to get it changed soon in about a week or so.

gsmokez

Feb 18, 2007
Brampton, Ontario
Oh aryte I'll check it the next time it's started. Thanks for the answer. So is it still possible that its rod knock or is it something else? So far the only thing that's been mentioned is an exhaust leak so what does everyone else think?

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
well if its not making the noise it was making before its hard to diagnose it, but rod knock doesnt really come and go, it normally comes and only gets worse... listen to any of the million rod knock vids on the net to see if it sounded like that i guess.

gsmokez

Feb 18, 2007
Brampton, Ontario
no its been sitting ever since. I used to drive it once in a while before about one every two weeks or so but ever since this thing happened I've been pretty worried about it because every time I see it I feel like somethings gunna happen now lol. and no I looked for videos on youtube and mine sounded nothing like that.

ohh and I should add that even when I drove it it was just neighbourhood drives late at night for about 10-15 minutes or so because the car is not plated at the moment but I don't want to let it sit for too long.

gsmokez

Feb 18, 2007
Brampton, Ontario
its a 5 speed hardtop turbo. 7MGTE and I was told it had 124,000 km when I bought it. remember guys that KILOMETERS lol I know a lot of you are american so don't mistake for miles.

gsmokez

Feb 18, 2007
Brampton, Ontario
aryte just to let you guys know I will check the car AGAIN tomorrow and see if the stupid rattling starts again so I will let you guys know how it goes.