Supra is going to the mechanic

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
if your mecahnic wants to pull the motor to fix the lines go some where else,

he should be able to drop the front cross frame in about 20 minute's and put the new lines on and have it back together in 2 hours. top's. the problem is, the flat rate for the job is rediculous. contact your local comuity college, alot of time's they have auto programes that have students being trained to do this, best part of all is they dont charge out the ass for labor.

ps, by droping the front cross frame and putting a cross bar to hold your engine up while the frame is missng, then undo your motor mount's, and 6 bolts that hold the cross frame in, then 1 bolt for the steering wheel to rack linkage, then you need to remove the shocks from the lower suspension arm's, disconnect brake lines for clearnece if needed. and last undo the ps line's from the pump and the rack,

one of the easiest things i have done.. with a lift..

Kyle87T

Banned
Aug 4, 2005
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
pimptrizkit said:
if your mecahnic wants to pull the motor to fix the lines go some where else,

he should be able to drop the front cross frame in about 20 minute's and put the new lines on and have it back together in 2 hours. top's. the problem is, the flat rate for the job is rediculous. contact your local comuity college, alot of time's they have auto programes that have students being trained to do this, best part of all is they dont charge out the ass for labor.

ps, by droping the front cross frame and putting a cross bar to hold your engine up while the frame is missng, then undo your motor mount's, and 6 bolts that hold the cross frame in, then 1 bolt for the steering wheel to rack linkage, then you need to remove the shocks from the lower suspension arm's, disconnect brake lines for clearnece if needed. and last undo the ps line's from the pump and the rack,

one of the easiest things i have done.. with a lift..

Thanks alot man, I will definately let my mechanic know about what you said.

rsaeini

padawan
Oct 30, 2006
SoCal
the flat rate for an average mechanic is what like $60/hour.
so say 2.5 hours is like $150. that's not too bad.

but parts are fairly expensive. rack and pinion is like $200, the hard line is about $95, and the resevoir is about $60.

it adds up. if you need all that stuff replaced you're looking at about $500+.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
DO IT AT HOME. Fixing the pressure line for my PS was one of the major things i did when i got mine. If you are not planning to drive it soon then wait till it gets warmer.
Took me 3 hours and unexperienced, lol, and at the age of 17 too, and its hard to get the lines in and out. I had the car on jack stands only with the engine in it. But yea i wanted to see wat this sup can offer me. See wat u can do at home first.
I havent sent my car to a shop YET! But i just dont trust any one else that i dont kno to work on it. I have the feeling that they might not do wat YOU would do. Check everything for example. Anyways, good luck