Supra in Snow?

Mr.SelfDestruct

I build planes... yeah...
May 27, 2005
everett, WA
last winter was when I really learned how to drift. Snow can be a great learning experiance, it teaches you proper throttle control, braking(I dont know about anyone else, but my abs SUCKS!), I even learned/mastered heel-toe shifting. in my opinion, people who dont know how to control a slide, the shouldnt be allowed to drive. the LSD'll make you get sideways when you're going down a straight road. my mom absolutley refuses to drive in the snow, but its my favorite driving condition, especially very early in the morning, when noone has even touched it. I also love it because its so quiet, no screeching tires, or smoke, just youre exhaust, its almost like a dream. if you really want to learn, just go to a parking lot when it snows, and most of all, BE CAREFUL, noone wants to see anothed wrecked supra on the side of the road.

montoya_mk3

Jun 18, 2005
Canada
I did it for 3 weeks once with brand new winter tires on the stock rims and sand bags. It is fun to drive for the first little bit (that wear's out fast...car too heavy...too much momentum). Like I said, did it for 3 weeks.....then i got myself a little plymouth horizon.

Horizon = BRUTE POWER!!!!

hahahaha

If i hit something in it...i'd leave the busted piece there...for example...part of front bumper stuck in big electrical pole. It got to the point where the car looked like I broke into the local pick your part or junk yard and stole it.

Sweet memories :)

Mr.SelfDestruct

I build planes... yeah...
May 27, 2005
everett, WA
I had kumho ecsta supras(still do), not the best for traction in the snow, so you could describe my morning trips to school as "eventful", although its not exactly comfortable when your heater doesnt work, i'd just layer up w/ about four coats, and roll my windows down(I love the wind!) and control the car as best I could. and I'm so glad because I get my license back in november!!(just in time!!!)

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Get some narrow, good snow tires, and it won't be that bad.

Something like 205/60-16.

Shouldn't be too bad in the snow, or, like others mentioned, get another car. I don't mind RWD in the winter at all really, as long as I've got good tires, but both my Corolla and Supra get parked for the winter, the Corolla's getting a nice body makeover this winter, fixing all the rust it has from being driven in the winter for the last 10 years, and it will never be driven in the winter again... screw that, lol.

Got my Camry to drive during the winter and a 4x4 94 Ranger 4.0L if I need to use it. :)

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I drive mine all year round, as it is my transport for me AND my mountain bike. Good Michelin snow tires help a lot - I get better traction than 4wd vehicles with all seasons on them. :D

snow.jpg

dtoys

Need Job..will travel!!
Sep 22, 2005
jersey
my old job was in a shopping center which was a little lower than the main road..it musta snowed at least five inches and it was coming down harder..i left work early, thinkin i could get home before it got worse.. to my dismay, i couldn't drive up the little ramp to the main road cuz my tires would skidding..
so i get the genius idea to back up the ramp, thinkin it could pull itself up.. after 20 minutes, it wouldn't work.. thank god there was a longer side exit..

turns out a 20 minute trip home ended up taking me two hours cuz i had to navigate the streets trying to avoid the hills and sticking to the flat roads..

nearly, nearly, spun out twice...but the old girl got me home!!

as long as i have my supra... I HATE SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

where's my jeep wrangler when i need it? (probably in nicaragua with its top off)

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
don't listen to these guys.

i was driving the supra in 6 inches of snow from 94-96 and then from 98-02 without zero issues. never ditched the car and I am from Miami, Florida!!

As long as you don't drive like a complete moron the supra will do fine.

ts_MKIII

Aug 8, 2005
Virginia Beach
me, i took advantage of the snow up here... it doesnt usually snow but it finally did.. and i ususally drift in the rain. We have comps in the rain and dry.. any ways i was drifting in the snow holy shiit.. i had the parking lot all to my self and 2 other friends a JDM gt4 awd turbo celica and a ae86 we had shitt loads of fun.. but any wais. i put my sawblades with some good snow tires, tuned down the boost to 4 psi, you dont need that much boost in the snow, way too dangerous, and just drove slowly and carefully, and dont turn to quickly or suddenly the weight of the car will cause your car to slide.

but as long as you dont dirve like an idiot youll like it such a different feeling.

ust get some good mich snow tires, theyll have a nice grip, almost like a 4wd. some good tres and youll be fine. yah im not saying some ppl have problems but they probably had some nice street high performance tires and thats why they experienced such a hard time driving in the snow.

just have tow sets of wheels: your summer spring and fall set with some nice street low pro tires.

and another winter set with some nice snow tires so itll be easy to just interchange when needed, thats what i do.

Last edited:

ts_MKIII

Aug 8, 2005
Virginia Beach
GrimJack said:
I agree 110% - this is my approach as well.

thanks yah thats the best way, and im pretty shure if grim hre agrees then i must be atleast half way right lol. thanks for the boost in confidence lol.

but ive had non problems on the snow with my method.

people say they have problems: ONLY cuz they are not prepared.

but if youre prepared with the appropriate tires will in no doubt have any problems.

driving in the snow is perfectly fine, just be prepared.

heavyearly87t

Mr.Url
Mar 31, 2005
Edmonton Alberta Canada Eh?
I drove the Supra one season in the snow. As winter is 8 month long here it was fun.

BUY WINTER TIRES!!! That is the only way you will make it through. Worth evey penny spent. Thats how $40,000 BMW owners can drive the cars all winter... I would do it again if I had to if you drive easy and watch the traffic you are fine. I almost never knew I was in the snow...

Url

S

superpandapower

Dang. Now I'm mad that I let myself pass up a 91 turbo. Doh. Well, guess it's time to go back to looking for one. Too bad there are so few 90-92 5 speeds.

Glad to hear all the awesome advice tho. Thanks!

JM