Supra in Snow?

S

superpandapower

How do you guys drive the supra in the winter through snow. Any recommendations? Thanks.

S

superpandapower

It's that bad? I thought that the LSD would help some. Also, a set of good snow tires would help too right?

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
i had some h-rated tires on it when i bought the car.
bought it in march. started snowing like shit in the middle of april...

they were like cooper cobra type tread. real blocky looking.

this car will go wherever you want it to.
sucks that i like the car so much... but it's awesome.

if you drive in the snow, however, do not go far. it gets old quick and you start thinking about what would happen if you lost it... if someone else lost it.. you wouldnt be able to stop in time... this and that... it sucks.

but, in like 2" of snow, i had so much fun.

S

superpandapower

So you would recommend a front wheel drive sedan for winter driving instead? Even one without lsd? Thanks.

7MGTEJoe

Mar 31, 2005
Salinas, CA
The few times I've driven the supra in the snow it's been unpleasant. I suppose the LSD made it easier to drive than a powerful RWD car with an open differential, but that's not saying much.

Buy a cheap car to drive in the snow, supra body parts are expensive. Cosmetic damage can cost more to fix than a crap box costs to buy.

Last edited:

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
yep. subaru's are quite affordable and easy to repair if a fender bender occurs.
plus, they just dont look right all one color. :D

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I think a cheap fwd car sucks just as much in the snow. My 91 lude almost killed me a few times since the tires would just lock and I'd start coasting unable to steer or stop. Get an awd car, I would feel safest in one by far. I remember even a heavy rwd truck, I believe it was a black silverado, it tried to slow down from around 60 and turn right and he kept going straight and hit the curb, then went over it :biglaugh: I laughed.
eric

theDon

The Don
Mar 31, 2005
Med-City, USA (Rochester, MN)
I drove years in the snow in WI in my 82 supra 5 speed and 87 5 speed and packing the back of the hatch with bags of salt really helps a lot. Oh and don't forget to get the clutch in before lifting off the gas going 55mph, it's easy to lock the rear end that way :)

S

superpandapower

Thanks for the information, guys. I was hoping to get a mkiii as a daily driver, even during the winter, but it sounds like everyone thinks that would be a bad idea. I guess I'll wait for now then.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
yep. get something shitty and reliable. like a tercel.
save save save and buy a GOOD supra
it's getting hard to find, but find a really nice one. and keep it nice.
it'll be easier to keep a nice one in good condition and pay the money up front, than to make a mediocre one nice and pay it all later.

doom26464

Research...research
Mar 31, 2005
Saskatoon SK, Canada
www.cardomain.com
I'm driving mine this winter. my 88 N/a though didn't liek the snow at all. It however was stored for the winter just last few days of winter i took it out and it slid around and basiclly was usless. Im hoping however my 90 turbo will do better as it has LSD and ABS unlike my 88 n/a.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
i dont have a DD this winter, (sold my crapbox tempo) so im either borrowing my moms rolla or walking to work and school if i see ice.

school = 2 blocks
work = 2 miles.

meh,

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
umm, i dont, it is my DD, but if the conditions dont look right i wont drive, ill cancel what ever i have to do, im not going to risk my baby.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
I'm not even going to read all the replies but I drove mine the last two winters.

first winter I was coating down a hill and out of absolutly no where my car did two 360's across the road and jumped a curb backwards, blowing out both rear tires.

the second winter I drove it really well... i'd rather drive my supra with a 5 spd than a car with an automatic.

S

superpandapower

Did you just figure out to shift smoothly and drive conservatively? Also, with that in mind, I get the feeling that I should worry about chicago drivers. Anyone here care to comment?

CSquared

Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
thankfully we dont get too much snow in Georgia but when we do it sucks because its mostly one lane roads... hilly... and usually ditches on each side of the road.

So when it does snow... i call the f in sick or bum rides from friends/relatives.

I remember back in new york though i used to go crazy in the snow sliding around in my fireird. I like driving in the snow when there is no risk of serious injury. Man that firebird was a hunk of crap... good 8 different colors. :icon_conf

EDIT: Really though i'd worry about others drivers more than yourself if you are cautious. A lot of people just arent equipped to deal with those kinds of situations. Mind wind up getting rearended or something.

Fuzz420

Are U Here 2 take My Baby
My soop is a my dd and this past winter i had to driver her unfortunatly.Not fun.I had some good all-season master crafts, they werent bad. All i can say is drive slow and ride the clutch just a tad on take off or your gonna be spinning every which. Turns thats a whole other story especially with the lsd, my suggestion is no throttle during the turn.Im n/a and i feel bad for you turbo guys in the snow......