Supra gaurdian angel?

turbo87targa

Nov 10, 2006
colorado springs
Woke up this morning to find my car in my neighbors yard. The ebrake was modded by the PO for drifting (although I will be shortly undoing this!!) so that when you lift the ebrake the little ratchet locks don't engage unless the button is pulled out. I've never had any problems with it coming undone with me out of the car, but there have been times where I have been sitting with the ebrake up and hit the handle with my leg and had it drop.

We had some really strong wind last night and I'm guessing the car rocking back and forth dropped it somehow....

The amazing thing is after backing up about 20 feet down my driveway, it turned 45 degrees(avoiding my neighbors car by less than 10 feet), went 20 feet across the street, hopped the curb, and stopped less than 6" from the fence. Not a scratch.

Kind of an amazing stroke of luck it was at an angle backwards...I scrape on speedbumps...let alone curbs....

I feel like I should play the lotto today. (and be beaten for letting this happen)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 72

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
Next time you come across the PO make sure you bitch-slap them on general principles, not to mention compromising the e-brake like that. Could also give your car a good wash and wax to say "thanks" for avoiding the hazards of the unmanned trip across the street. :)

turbo87targa

Nov 10, 2006
colorado springs
mirage83;1573752 said:
Could also give your car a good wash and wax to say "thanks" for avoiding the hazards of the unmanned trip across the street. :)
A Damn fine idea! Lol

It's really strange, I've had the car 3 years and have never been given a hint it was that fragile. It's never fallen unless given a good contact from something but i only need 1 hint from the supra gods lol.

turbo87targa

Nov 10, 2006
colorado springs
Yea I've always relied on the ebrake cause of the turbo timer but I believe I'll be waiting till it shuts off and put it in gear.

I really can't believe it made it on the curb...shoulda high centered...

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
a good ebrake will hold your car no matter what..

I'd replace the shoes, since we use shoe in drum e-brakes, so two or three good yanks while "drifting" and they're gone...

turbo87targa

Nov 10, 2006
colorado springs
RazoE;1573816 said:
a good ebrake will hold your car no matter what..

I'd replace the shoes, since we use shoe in drum e-brakes, so two or three good yanks while "drifting" and they're gone...
The ebrake holds the car great. It just drops with very little impact.
I've never drifted the car cause I've heard 7m's don't take to kindly to fluid sloshing from side to side(IJ I think knows what I mean)
I need to figure out why my ebrake button works in reverse. It stays pushed in so it can be pulled without locking.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
87M-GTE;1573861 said:
Never heard of any wrecks from leaving your car in gear.
Please elaborate

If your car doesn't have a clutch safety switch, it can start while in gear. My son (Berduskain) drove my BMW 3 series through our garage door once like that.

(Not his fault, his mother told him to go start it and he was too young to know how to drive...)

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
Supracentral;1573891 said:
If your car doesn't have a clutch safety switch, it can start while in gear. My son (Berduskain) drove my BMW 3 series through our garage door once like that.

(Not his fault, his mother told him to go start it and he was too young to know how to drive...)

Thats only if you're trying to start it, if its left alone and just parked over night that wouldn't happen

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
87M-GTE;1573894 said:
Thats only if you're trying to start it, if its left alone and just parked over night that wouldn't happen

You said you never heard of any wrecks from leaving your car in gear, I gave an example...

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
I won't leave mine in gear anymore because I've been told by a long time transmission specialtist that it will damage the syncros eventually...I dunno how true this is, so if someone could correct me on this it would be great.

turbo87targa

Nov 10, 2006
colorado springs
Supracentral;1573891 said:

Saw a similair situation on YouTube wih a gt500.

I still have no idea what was done to make it work this way....

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
My MKIV hardtop has remote start and it's a manual trans. I never park in gear - ever. It's considered "unsafe" to install remote start on a manual trans, but I've had it this way for years and never an incident. Since it's a single driver car (nobody drives it but me) and I never leave it anywhere except in my garage, is probably the only reason I've never had a problem. For example, when I have tires put on it, I stand there and watch them do it. Some mechanics hate it, but too damned bad. I'm not letting that car out of my sight when someone else has the keys...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
87M-GTE;1573861 said:
Never heard of any wrecks from leaving your car in gear.
Please elaborate

Sam

Someone drives car. Someone parks car with it in gear. Other person gets in, pushes clutch pedal down to start, then releases clutch pedal. Car lurches forward taking out anything in it's way.

It's NOT done for safety, it was done in northern states instead of the e-brake as the e-brake would freeze in the winter.