Supra Electrical Problems

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Volt meter or test light

Both fuzes will get power with the ignition on but if one is getting power with the fuze removed and ignition off then it's getting power from somewhere else and will narrow down our search a bit

Rev Clown

Dec 9, 2012
Rhode Island
jdmfreak;1924948 said:
Volt meter or test light

Both fuzes will get power with the ignition on but if one is getting power with the fuze removed and ignition off then it's getting power from somewhere else and will narrow down our search a bit

Alright I just removed the cig fuse and it didn't seem to be doing it but ill check in the morning to see if the battery is dead or not

Rev Clown

Dec 9, 2012
Rhode Island
Nick M;1925370 said:
So the symptoms are gone from your opening post where you have a short to postive?

So far the battery is fine so I dont think it has done it with the cig fuse out and I sat in the car for about 20 min turning the key on and off and it didnt do it at all.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Rev Clown;1925471 said:
So far the battery is fine so I dont think it has done it with the cig fuse out and I sat in the car for about 20 min turning the key on and off and it didnt do it at all.

Then you have isolated the circuit that is feeding B+ to IGN. As mentioned, you can put it back in, and disconnect things on that circuit one at a time.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Nick M;1925672 said:
Then you have isolated the circuit that is feeding B+ to IGN. As mentioned, you can put it back in, and disconnect things on that circuit one at a time.

If pulling the fuze cut power to the circuit after the fuze then that means the short to power is between the ignition switch and the fuze...... Otherwise pulling the fuze would not shut off power to all the systems
So that means it should be in the p-l wire from acc to 1j as in my picture above

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Maybe JJ will show up and save the day... Lol
But from this point on your going to need at least some basic electrical diagnostic tools.... A test light and a decent volt/ohmmeter
Once you have those you will have to trace wires(with the tewd)... unplug connectors and check for voltage one at a time until you locate your problem

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
I would start with the wear item. Pull the IGN switch connector off and check the operation of the ignition switch with an ohmmeter. Chances are the ACC terminal is on all the time.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
3p141592654;1925747 said:
I would start with the wear item. Pull the IGN switch connector off and check the operation of the ignition switch with an ohmmeter. Chances are the ACC terminal is on all the time.

Sounds like a good place to start...

Not meaning to confuse the op but if that were the case wouldn't pulling both the cig and the radio fuze stop the power drain?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Rev Clown;1925724 said:
Ok so I went out to the car again today and the battery is dead so it looks like the fuse didn't solve the problem,

That may or may not be related to this.

Since I took the radio out now everything stays on with the key completely off and it acts as if the cars on.

We can't fix it for you. Not for free anyway.

Rev Clown

Dec 9, 2012
Rhode Island
Ok so I unplugged the ignition switch and checked the connectors for power. 2 of the connecters had power and the rest did not so what should be my next move now that I found the 2 connecters that have power with the ignition disconnected?

limitedgt4

Mar 31, 2012
Pawtucket, ri
Seeing that i have a similar problem, im curious to see if your does the same thing mines does as well. After i turn the key to on and then off and pull the key out, the car will lose all power after about 30 secs. Does this happen to you as well?

Rev Clown

Dec 9, 2012
Rhode Island
limitedgt4;1927460 said:
Seeing that i have a similar problem, im curious to see if your does the same thing mines does as well. After i turn the key to on and then off and pull the key out, the car will lose all power after about 30 secs. Does this happen to you as well?

No my car turns off right away but what happens is sometimes the ignition turns on as if I turned the key on but the key will be completely off and out of the ignition. It doesn't always happen but I have seen it happen a lot.

limitedgt4

Mar 31, 2012
Pawtucket, ri
Thats what i meant. My instruments stay on like the radio and all the dash lights and then completely turn off like 30 secs after the key is out. Also fyi my engine is disconected so when i say on im talking about the electronics on the car

Rev Clown

Dec 9, 2012
Rhode Island
limitedgt4;1927463 said:
Thats what i meant. My instruments stay on like the radio and all the dash lights and then completely turn off like 30 secs after the key is out. Also fyi my engine is disconected so when i say on im talking about the electronics on the car

Oh I was a little confused the way you said it but yes my car is doing the same thing accept it doesn't stay on always after the key turned off it will randomly turn on instead