Supra died on me and now won't start.

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
Well i've been trying to trouble shoot my Supra starting issue and thougt I would post on here for some help.

Here is the situation...

I got back from a week vacation and decided to take the Supra out for a spin and it started fine. Drove it to the store and no sign of any issues. I get home and it dies right before I get it in my driveway. Try to restart it and it just cranks.

I've recently changed out the cam seals, drive belts, had to remove CPS in order to fix broken thermostat bolt. Reinstalled CPS and checked timing and it was running ok.

Checked fuses, checked EFI Main Relay, checked for spark and its good, so i'm guessing the CPS is ok. Doesn't seem like its getting fuel. Jumped Fp and +B in the diagnostic block and I could hear the fuel in the rail at first. Then checked later, I get nothing. I think the +B terminal broke, because it got pushed in. Jumped Fp to battery ground and the pump turns on. I checked voltage at the pump and it was only getting like 2 Volts while cranking and it wasn't turning on.

So i'm guessing that its has something to do with the Fuel Pump Relay or resistor. Or possibly the COR? I've checked them according to the TSRM, but it doesn't seem like they check out exactly. I also need to check my grounds and fusible links as well.

Any advice or info would help. And I get no codes by the way. But thats because my Check Engine light doesn't turn on!

PS. Wiring sucks! I would like to replace my engine wiring harness. I've broken a couple sensor plugs and most of the wires are rock hard and have electrical tape making everything all sticky!!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
try jiggling the cps wires. mine will do that from time to time and i just jiggle them a few times try if no do it again and it will start within 3 times.

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
hvyman;1388138 said:
try jiggling the cps wires. mine will do that from time to time and i just jiggle them a few times try if no do it again and it will start within 3 times.

I've tried the jiggle method. Still didn't work. But it could be related since I did remove the CPS last week and the wiring is very hard and brittle. But I got spark on the #1 plug. Should I check the rest?

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
I didn't even know my engine light was not working until I decided to check if I had any codes when it didn't start. Just something else to worry about. :3d_frown:

Nocheez

Probably posts too much
Apr 17, 2005
Charlotte, NC
SrBigbutt;1388335 said:
I didn't even know my engine light was not working until I decided to check if I had any codes when it didn't start. Just something else to worry about. :3d_frown:

What? The check engine light should always come on when the car is not running but the key is in the run position. It's a simple way to check that the computer is getting power (or if your light might be bad).

TomFraser

check the ground on the intake manifold

then in the diagnostics box run a paper clip from b+ to FP

you should hear your fuel pump run, if not you have no power to the ECU and i'd be willing to bet it is a ground, most likely the intake manifold one

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
I had a feeling the check engine light wasn't working. But I was in denial. My car runs perfect!! lol.

I will definately check the grounds. I did jump +b and fp inititially and it worked. I checked again later after I checked for spark and it didn't work. I may have broken the +b plug. It got pushed in. It wouldn't be the first electrical contact that I have broken in this car.

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
I checked all the grounds today and they all seemed fine. Decided to recheck fuses with volt meter and it turned out that my EFI Fuse had blown even though it didn't look like it. Now i'm getting power to +b port on diagnostic block and i'm getting fuel and spark now. But still now start.

So I decided to test compression on cylinder #1 and it came back 0!! So i'm guessing something broke on the cam gear. I remember reading a similar thread, but I could not find it. I must have done something wrong when I changed the cam seals. Maybe the pin fell out or broke. I'm guessing its the Intake cam, because the CPS still spins.

First thing I though when the car died and I tried to crank it was that the timing belt broke. But I turned the crank and the cam gears turned and still lined up.

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
I took the timing cover off today and sure enough the intake cam gear pin was missing. It must have backed out and fell off. Should I be worried about where it went? I've tried cranking it quite a bit!! :aigo:

Is this a dealer only type option. I can order one from work, but would really like to buy one at an autostore tonight if possible.

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
Damn. I tried putting a magnet down there but I didn't get anything. Can you loosen the lower timing belt cover without taking off the crankshaft pulley? Maybe I can get it from below.

I also have a question about the location of the pin. I put the pin in the left hole because thats where it was at when I took it off. Should I put it in the middle hole? I didn't seem to have any timing issues the way it was.

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
I should be getting the Cam Gear pin today and am still wondering if I should put it back into the left hole that it was in originally or should I put it in the center hole. Seems like everyone says it should go in the middle but the TSRM says to install it in the same hole it was in. What does it change or what should I notice.

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
Oh crap! You are right. I see it now in the TSRM. I'm missing the washer! It was not there when I took it off.

So even though it was in the left I should put it in the center.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
SrBigbutt;1390337 said:
Oh crap! You are right. I see it now in the TSRM. I'm missing the washer! It was not there when I took it off.

So even though it was in the left I should put it in the center.

thats correct, and i would check the other gear as well.

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
They were both on the left hole. I marked them before I took them off. I got my pins today and should have it back installed soon. I guess I will just use a regular flat fender washer to hold the pin in. Hopefully she will be running again shortly.

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
I got the pins installed in the center hole and put some washers on to protect it from sliding out and got everything back together. Shes running fine again! woohoo!! I still got to double check timing.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
SrBigbutt;1390581 said:
They were both on the left hole. I marked them before I took them off. I got my pins today and should have it back installed soon. I guess I will just use a regular flat fender washer to hold the pin in. Hopefully she will be running again shortly.

Use a couple of those washers. the original ones are pretty thick, and just having a thin one on there, the bolt might bottom out before fully torquing.