Supporting turbocharger mods

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
Not sure if this quite fits in the "turbocharger" section...
I had some basic questions about supporting mods when going for a high hp goal. I’d like to put down somewhere around 750rwhp, obviously you have to have the turbo to do that (probably going to go for a GT40-GT42) but what about other aspects of the car? I attempted to search, but most of this information gets lost because of the common words.
Specifically I was wondering about piping size for ic pipes, I’m guessing between 2.5-3”s, but what is most efficient for that level?
I’ve seen a few cars with two bovs, I was thinking about going with the tial 50mm bov, will one be enough?
Same with wastegates, it seems the common size is 44mm and then it jumps to 60mm?
I’m going to be putting in a new walbro fuel pump, will that be enough or would I want to look at something with more flow?
Last question, since I’m going standalone, I was wondering if it would be worth it to do a dual-injector setup. I have a set of 550cc injectors that I bought a while ago, so using those in conjunction with cleaned stock injectors should put me at around a max of 990cc? I remember reading something about how larger injectors can be harder to tune off throttle since they’re so much bigger, I wasn’t sure if it was true or not, but partly because of that and partly because I already have the 550s, I was thinking about going that route, while not necessarily a bad idea, is it something worth looking into doing?
Any help you guys can give me is appreciated, thanks.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Wrong section ;) You need to do a LOT more research, though.

Look into:

1) Fuel modifications (how and more importantly WHY)
2) Airflow requirements for 750rwhp
3) HANDLING a 750rwhp vehicle ;) I'm guessing you've never had to deal with a 400rwhp RWD vehicle yet. I HIGHLY suggest you do so before going crazy ;)

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
1-2. This is why I asked about these things since I was trying to get an idea of what I needed. Trying a search gets a lot of extra threads that have nothing to do with what I need since they're broad terms.
3. I'm not really worried about that seeing as my first car at 16 was a 250rwhp supra, obviously 3x more power is completely different, but I'm not going to be doing anything stupid after I've paid 5-10k+ into the car. My whole point is that I'm going to do most of the supporting mods and use the 20g greddy turbo I have lying around. 2nd stage is going to be the rest of the stuff like fuel and obviously a new turbo. I just want to get everything I'll need later now rather than having to upgrade a bunch of stuff later.

Does nobody know anything about this?

Supra90gr

Feb 12, 2009
Connecticut
Cz.;1276648 said:
1-2. This is why I asked about these things since I was trying to get an idea of what I needed. Trying a search gets a lot of extra threads that have nothing to do with what I need since they're broad terms.
3. I'm not really worried about that seeing as my first car at 16 was a 250rwhp supra, obviously 3x more power is completely different, but I'm not going to be doing anything stupid after I've paid 5-10k+ into the car. My whole point is that I'm going to do most of the supporting mods and use the 20g greddy turbo I have lying around. 2nd stage is going to be the rest of the stuff like fuel and obviously a new turbo. I just want to get everything I'll need later now rather than having to upgrade a bunch of stuff later.

Does nobody know anything about this?

1. You need more than 10k to have a 750whp (internals, head jobs, machining, labor and blah blah
2. Your better off using 1000cc injectors and also consider a 2nd walbro
3. You will need to beef up the tranny and rear end otherwise that 750whp will be useless.

Ask around with people that have achieved that goal. They have dumped more money they thought the would.

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
Supra90gr;1276675 said:
1. You need more than 10k to have a 750whp (internals, head jobs, machining, labor and blah blah
2. Your better off using 1000cc injectors and also consider a 2nd walbro
3. You will need to beef up the tranny and rear end otherwise that 750whp will be useless.

Ask around with people that have achieved that goal. They have dumped more money they thought the would.

1. I'm not really worried about costs, I don't doubt it will cost more than I expect, I was just thowing a # out there.
2. I guess this goes back to my original question, is it better to have two sets of injectors for a certain flow or is using one set the same? I was wondering about whether one fuel pump was ok or not. Since I'm not immediately going to be going for high hp, one should do for now.
3. I haven't really heard that much about the rear-end being weak, can you elaborate? I'm going to eventually get an aftermarket LSD. I'm not interested in drag racing so I'm not as worried about ruining my tranny.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
My rule of thumb for the fuel system is whatever you think you'll need double it. (ditto on budget)

1 (one) set of injectors, the idea being if you lose an injector it'll drop a cylinder and lose power.

If you run 2 sets and one dies that cylinder still has enough fuel to torch the piston and you lose the engine.

I run 2 x BoV's as one wasn't coping with the surge of the T04z.

WG depends on turbine housing choice and expected/target boost.

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
First off, considering the fact that you even needed to ask these questions in the first place tell me that you aren't ready to build a 750hp car. The motorwork alone will probably run you 10k. You can't just slap on a big turbo onto a stock motor and throw some extra fuel at it and expect it get you there.

Second, if you REALLY are interested in building a car with that much power, head over to the build section and read through the endless pages of some of the bigger builds and check out what they are all running. One thing you'll notice is the endless hours and money poured into those cars, and you'll soon realize how much work it is to get to that point.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
I think the OP just needs to reword and tell what he's looking to upgrade or replace at this moment. What he wants is to replace with items that can support his end power goal without having to replace again in the future. Of course, some items can be bought for this and some will need to be replaced regardless since they won't be good for the present as current power level.

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
IJ.;1276875 said:
1 (one) set of injectors, the idea being if you lose an injector it'll drop a cylinder and lose power.

If you run 2 sets and one dies that cylinder still has enough fuel to torch the piston and you lose the engine.

I didn't think about that as far as running two sets of injectors, makes sense.

fiyota;1276951 said:
First off, considering the fact that you even needed to ask these questions in the first place tell me that you aren't ready to build a 750hp car. The motorwork alone will probably run you 10k. You can't just slap on a big turbo onto a stock motor and throw some extra fuel at it and expect it get you there.

Second, if you REALLY are interested in building a car with that much power, head over to the build section and read through the endless pages of some of the bigger builds and check out what they are all running. One thing you'll notice is the endless hours and money poured into those cars, and you'll soon realize how much work it is to get to that point.

At what point did I say I was intending to do any of that? Didn't I already state that I'm well aware of the costs involved?
Have I asked "how many psi did I need to get 800hp?" or even "can a stock motor take xxxhp?" I've probably been into supras longer than you, that doesn't mean that I know every single aspect about all hp levels.
I will look into the builds, but just because someone does it one way, doesn't mean it's the best way. I'm trying to figure out the most effecient way for the HP level.
ex. You could use 3.5" IC pipes and get whatever HP you wanted, but if you're going to go for 300rwhp, it's probably total overkill and just keeps you out of boost longer. At what point is 2.5" too small? 2.75"? 3"? etc.

Guyana00;1277039 said:
I think the OP just needs to reword and tell what he's looking to upgrade or replace at this moment. What he wants is to replace with items that can support his end power goal without having to replace again in the future. Of course, some items can be bought for this and some will need to be replaced regardless since they won't be good for the present as current power level.

Thanks, this is exactly why I'm asking these questions now. I have a shell and a 2JZ (should have said this in the first place), I need to buy most of the other stuff now. I've got a td-06 20g that I'm going to put on now, but everything else is going to be bought in the intentions of the final product with a larger turbo, not for a 20g.