suportability of a 2jz-gte vvti

steve_mk3

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
middletown, NJ
I would really like to swap a 2jzgte vvti into my 92 supra, I understand what it will take to perform the actual swap, the question really is-

How available are parts both from a stock and performance point of view. - I obviously have looked and do see ECU's, CAMS,
I plan on doing all the maintanance and if I have the good fortune, I will own this car for many years. From a problem solving perspective, there is a great deal of information and assistance with a 1JZ, 2JZ - but how about this motor.

This is about after the swap, I need to be able to support this engine for many years!

Thanks for your input and thoughts

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
If I were to do it all over again (not likely, I'm not that much of a glutton :p ), I'd go with the VVTI 2j. What you have forgotten to mention, is the most important question of all:

"What is my goal with this car, what will be my intended use for it?"

Answering that will get you better results than blindly buying parts and hoping it all works out. ;)

steve_mk3

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
middletown, NJ
Thanks for your input te72

I want this car to be fun to drive - For me that is a ballance of power, handling, comfort and reliability.
from the perspective of the engine - 400 crank HP would be nice, quick spool, more interested in bottom end power than high rpm hp.

While I look forward to this project, I want a reliable car. I dont want to tweek this and that ever weekend, pull the engine once a month - nope
The closer I can stay to stock with proven HP gains the better
I came up with the 2JZGTE VVTI - for those carictaristices - plus the uniqueness of VVTI

A nice unique car for weekend rides

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
If you're only looking for 400hp at the crank, shit... a VVTI 2j with good exhaust, intake, and intercooler, you're probably going to be pushing upwards of that much at the wheels if you take the time to have the head ported. Wanna talk about low end power... there you go. ;)

steve_mk3

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
middletown, NJ
Thanks for your input! I appreciate it

Brad- Exactly - I can easily reach my power goals with a stock ( mostly) engine. I should have a reliable engine.

Jose - I think I need to call you guys!

Do you know where I can download an english TSRM that covers the 2jzgte vvti?