Supermonitor; 7MGE and 7MGTE interchangeability

Feb 13, 2006
Ohio
I just bought a Supermonitor and realized that it was for a GE, does anyone know if they are interchangeable? Didn't find any threads on the subject. I'm assuming not, but figured it was worth an ask.

-Charles

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
yrallofthenamestaken;1126475 said:
I just bought a Supermonitor and realized that it was for a GE, does anyone know if they are interchangeable? Didn't find any threads on the subject. I'm assuming not, but figured it was worth an ask.

-Charles

It will still plug in and "work", but the MPG estimates will be off. Although as I understand, if the car is modified at all, you can forget the MPG estimates as they will be horribly inaccurate.

My .02.

Did you receive it yet?

Feb 13, 2006
Ohio
suprarx7nut;1126507 said:
It will still plug in and "work", but the MPG estimates will be off. Although as I understand, if the car is modified at all, you can forget the MPG estimates as they will be horribly inaccurate.

My .02.

Did you receive it yet?

Okay, the MPG thing makes sense, but thats not a real concern anyway. I do wonder about engine codes that are turbo car specific though.

I got the unit today and it looks great man, so I am hoping someone will chime in on the code issue and I can keep it. If it doesn't read turbo codes I will just plug it in to make sure it works and re-sell it.

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona, United States
yrallofthenamestaken;1126538 said:
Okay, the MPG thing makes sense, but thats not a real concern anyway. I do wonder about engine codes that are turbo car specific though.

No need to worry as all of the engine codes of GE and GTE are the same, infect its funny because toyota uses all the same codes on all of there vehicles tell IIRC 1994....

Feb 13, 2006
Ohio
Zerocool;1126735 said:
No need to worry as all of the engine codes of GE and GTE are the same, infect its funny because toyota uses all the same codes on all of there vehicles tell IIRC 1994....

So N/A ECU's can throw overboost codes? My question is will the 7MGE Supermonitor that I have ready to go in my GTE car read and display codes that N/A's never throw such as overboost (whatever code that is)?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
yrallofthenamestaken;1126757 said:
So N/A ECU's can throw overboost codes? My question is will the 7MGE Supermonitor that I have ready to go in my GTE car read and display codes that N/A's never throw such as overboost (whatever code that is)?

The ECU determines what codes are spit out. As long as you have a turbo ECU, you will get turbo codes and so forth.

** Oh and just to clarify, I'm talking about the ECU, not the super monitor computer. The super monitor computer is in charge of deciphering the signals it gets from the car's ECU, but the differences between the GTE and GE Super monitor computer are solely related to the MPG calculations, as I understand.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
So let me get this right what you are asking,

You have this: 7MGTE & GTE TCCS

You bought: Supermonitor and computer from a 7MGE

You are asking: Can I install this and have it "work" with my GTE, so I can check codes and such. (if MPG is off that is ok)

My answer: I believe they are interchangeable. The computer from the Supermonitor just "reads" what it is getting feed, and then displays on nice cute green screen. It will be programed for MPG on the correct, all stock motor, but since every one of us has some sort of mod on our car it will not read accurate anyways so it is a wash. GE/GTE same codes = Supermonitor and computer working in your car.

Feb 13, 2006
Ohio
92nsx;1127195 said:
So let me get this right what you are asking,

You have this: 7MGTE & GTE TCCS

You bought: Supermonitor and computer from a 7MGE

You are asking: Can I install this and have it "work" with my GTE, so I can check codes and such. (if MPG is off that is ok)

My answer: I believe they are interchangeable. The computer from the Supermonitor just "reads" what it is getting feed, and then displays on nice cute green screen. It will be programed for MPG on the correct, all stock motor, but since every one of us has some sort of mod on our car it will not read accurate anyways so it is a wash. GE/GTE same codes = Supermonitor and computer working in your car.

Exactly :icon_bigg

Yeah, my confusion was whether or not the 7MGE SM computer was capable of reading and displaying Turbo codes, or if there was some sorth of limitation within. Thanks for all of the input guys, I'll throw it in the car and see if I can get it to hit fuel cut and then read the code.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
yrallofthenamestaken;1127430 said:
Exactly :icon_bigg

Yeah, my confusion was whether or not the 7MGE SM computer was capable of reading and displaying Turbo codes, or if there was some sorth of limitation within. Thanks for all of the input guys, I'll throw it in the car and see if I can get it to hit fuel cut and then read the code.

Post pics of it installed and working! :)

Wish I had the wiring for one...

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Interchangable, Yes.

I shamefully admit that I owned my car, hiding in the hole for almost 2 years before I realized that my Super Monitor read off codes.

Let me tell you, the day I got to throw away the U shaped paper clip away was one of the best days of my life.............:biglaugh:

Super Monitor For The Win. ;)

Jeff

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
7MGE to 7MGTE swap with supermonitor, no problems.
Just wish I got the mileage the monitor claimed I was running.
: )

Feb 13, 2006
Ohio
Boost Lee;1127891 said:
Interchangable, Yes.

I shamefully admit that I owned my car, hiding in the hole for almost 2 years before I realized that my Super Monitor read off codes.

Let me tell you, the day I got to throw away the U shaped paper clip away was one of the best days of my life.............:biglaugh:

Super Monitor For The Win. ;)

Jeff

Lol. I just read the sequence for pulling codes off of the supermonitor on the TSRM, it seems like they could have just added a "diagnostics" thing to menu. Nifty little clock though, here are the pics.

p1128688_1.jpg

p1128688_2.jpg