super monitor won't work

amekaji87

Apr 23, 2009
Chesapeake, Va
I just installed a super monitor I bought from another member on the forum here and when I turn the key on (not start the car--can't start it just yet) it doesn't turn on. The plug from the old clock, the one that supplies power to the clock, is still there hanging out, was that supposed to go somewhere else? My supra is an 88 7MGTE with an 89 7MGTE motor I dropped last night. Everything is wired up (save one wire which I can't figure out where the hell it goes (pictures posted of that). I can't start it yet becuase I'm running into a little problem -- the old fuel filter won't come off and I'm not putting in fresh oil until I replace that filter. Going to tackle that tomorrow by either finding a way to get that filter out or taking off the powersteering pump and pulling off that adapter and replacing it with the one from the other motor. Anyway..any clues on why that damn super monitor won't work?
Oh and if anyone knows where that damn plug goes that'd help too, thanks.

Attachments

• plug.gif
    plug.gif
    135.2 KB · Views: 34

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
Oil filter is stuck on the block adapter? Be ready for oil and stab it on the side with a screwdriver and turn :) A filter relocation kit is well worth the effort and makes oil filter changes more pleasant.

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
Check your wiring to the sm. You've got the primary harness which plugs into the brain box down by the brake pedal. Then you've got the wiring from the brain box to the display, and to the keyboard. As best I remember the old clock plug isn't used after changing out the display for the sm.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
SM won't light up until the ECU and just about everything else is plugged in and ready to go. I swapped a SM into my 86.5 and was worried when it didn't come on but after I had the ecu and engine harness plugged in it came to life. Double check your connections as well.

Now, if I recall correctly, the power supply line from the clock plugs into the instrument cluster and when you pull the clock, the line comes with it, so....I'm not understanding what plug is just hanging there, as you mentioned, or did you just cut the wire from the clock?

amekaji87

Apr 23, 2009
Chesapeake, Va
I didn't cut anything actually. I figured, as the forum suggested, it was all plug n' play, but when I removed the clock, there was still a plug chilling out there that powered the clock itself. The remote to the clock is out, but the other plug remains. Now I had a friend put the ECU in for me while I was plugging other things in the bay to the motor. He's not very experienced and I should probably go behind his work to make sure he didn't miss anything. I'll check that when I get home and see if that's the problem. Thanks for the advice. Oh, and I know about the oil relocation kit, by brother did that with his MKII 7MGTE swap before he sold it and I was thinking of doing the same down the road. I may try the screwdriver thing, but I'm not sure if even that will work.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Screwdriver things usually works. I found it usually sticks on like the when the seal isn't lubed when putting the filter on.

Anyone ever put an SM into a 1jz car? I haven't found anything on it and was just curious if someone wants to pm me about it. I hear from people no, but that isn't enough for me. I think I need to look at how it's hardwired into the 89+ and then see if the same can be done for the jz cars.

amekaji87

Apr 23, 2009
Chesapeake, Va
Guyana00;1331645 said:
Screwdriver things usually works. I found it usually sticks on like the when the seal isn't lubed when putting the filter on.

Anyone ever put an SM into a 1jz car? I haven't found anything on it and was just curious if someone wants to pm me about it. I hear from people no, but that isn't enough for me. I think I need to look at how it's hardwired into the 89+ and then see if the same can be done for the jz cars.

I've got the motor in and car running with everything wired up and back together. The issue with the super monitor was I assumed "someone" plugged the damn ecu back in but he didn't. As far as using the supermonitor in a 1jz, your gas consumption will be incorrect and I believe something else..it's on the forums though. Oh speaking of which. My supermonitor won't go past the year 2006...goes back to 86..weird.