Super Monitor Help

maj75

Apr 14, 2010
Miami, FL
Just got a Super Monitor from a forum member and I need some trouble shooting help.

I was told it was from a 88 7Mgte 5 speed. My car, a 87 had the SM plug and mounting studs.
The brackets for the computer were fairly bent and I had to try to bend them back into shape to get it to fit the under-dash studs. I got everything together and tested the unit. The clock, timer and calendar seem to work, but the fuel functions don't. The gallons used stays at 0, the range shows 0 and the MPG says 0. I tried reset and drove the car for a while, but no change. The plugs are all tight. The TSRM indicates that the computer might be bad.

Any other ideas? I thought I saw somewhere that there was a diagnostic procedure for the Super Monitor itself, but I can't find it now.

maj75

Apr 14, 2010
Miami, FL
I have that one from the owner's manual, but I thought there was a self diagnostic one for the SM itself, to see if it is connected properly and getting the right inputs.

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
If you find a solution let us all know. I've got an '88 and the SM in it is doing the exact same thing. Clock & calendar work fine, but none of the other readouts will display anything but a zero.

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
The real question to ask is what do you plan to do with your car later on. The reason to ask this is because when you start modifying your fuel system with newer injectors and AFM's, the SM will be completely off at that point (it won't be able to keep up with your changes). I have an SM from a 7M-GE manual tranny (mine's a 7M-GTE auto tranny), and I intend to install it strictly for the clock, calendar, and the OBD reading/clearing components and not for the mileage computer. Since mine came out of a completely different engine type, EVERYTHING about the fuel readings are going to be wrong/completely off, but the ECU will still send any error codes to the SM without trouble (or so I've heard...). It's completely dependent on what your future mods will look like.

maj75

Apr 14, 2010
Miami, FL
I don't intend to install different injectors or a different AFM or turbo. This car is stock w/ 90K miles and I will keep it fairly stock. I am even having the stock radio repaired rather than replaced.

Does anybody have an idea about what inputs the SM uses to calculate fuel range and fuel consumption? Since the other systems on the car function properly, cruise, tems, fuel level, I assume that the speed sensor and fuel gauge sending units are functioning. I have to get under the dash and check the pins on the SM plug, but I am not sure exactly what to look for. The service manual gives some info but checking circuits is not my strength.

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
Tampa, Florida, United States
Drake69;1577543 said:
The real question to ask is what do you plan to do with your car later on. The reason to ask this is because when you start modifying your fuel system with newer injectors and AFM's, the SM will be completely off at that point (it won't be able to keep up with your changes). I have an SM from a 7M-GE manual tranny (mine's a 7M-GTE auto tranny), and I intend to install it strictly for the clock, calendar, and the OBD reading/clearing components and not for the mileage computer. Since mine came out of a completely different engine type, EVERYTHING about the fuel readings are going to be wrong/completely off, but the ECU will still send any error codes to the SM without trouble (or so I've heard...). It's completely dependent on what your future mods will look like.

Im glad to hear this, cause this is my DD so my gas milage is crap anyways. I just want the clock, calender, and OBD readout to work, cause im using the SM off a 86.5 5-speed and using it on a 89 5-speed.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
To compute fuel mileage it needs the #10 injector signal, tach (IG-) signal, and speed sensor, plus a few powers and grounds. It does not have a fuel level input, you manually reset every time you fill the tank to reset the range computation.

If you reset the change oil reminder, does it start decrementing as you drive?