Super Monitor doesnt work after hardwire

supra_man87

EL GUAPO
Nov 15, 2007
So. Col.
whats up fellas, and ladies of course too,
im having a bit of an issue with my recently acquired Super Monitor.
My car is an 86.5 n/a auto and the super monitor is from an 87 turbo 5 speed.

I followed suprra_girl's instructions, http://www.supra.co.nz/supermonitor/supermonitor.htm. The ect is hooked up, and wires are hooked up in their designated place, but on fire up, the display doesnt come on.

im certain the ecu is plugged in and everything, just not display or anything. Im more than certain it works. Btw i found this a bit interesting, when i plug the computer in, my idle increases, but when i unplug it, the idle drops back down to normal. i would like this hooked up cause ive wanted a super monitor for as long as ive had my car. any help would be appreciated.

also does anyone know what the switch on the side of the super monitor computer is for? it looks like an on and off switch with a reset button on it.

Thanks everyone.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
hmm

did you solder? If you did, make sure to ESD the soldering gun BEFORE applying it to the wires? ;)

ESD will kill components inside the SuperMonitor quite quickly.

supra_man87

EL GUAPO
Nov 15, 2007
So. Col.
figgie;1392114 said:
hmm

did you solder? If you did, make sure to ESD the soldering gun BEFORE applying it to the wires? ;)

ESD will kill components inside the SuperMonitor quite quickly.

no haven't them soldered yet.

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
Well... I'm pretty sure I used my own instructions to hook up mine and mine works lol.
I'm 99% sure my page is accurate soooo we'll start with the easy things first.

Does your radio turn on?

The only other suspects you have to check is:

Continuity for ground on - Bolt at bottom of integration relay/fusebox inside car and E1 at the ecu

Check no blown fuses at:
15a Tail fuse
15a Ign fuse
Radio fuse
7.5a Ign fuse
Gauge Fuse (this is a stab in the dark)

Did you test it before installing?

The switch on the side = no idea lol. Didn't really look and now can't remember at all heh

supra_man87

EL GUAPO
Nov 15, 2007
So. Col.
suprra_girl;1392631 said:
Well... I'm pretty sure I used my own instructions to hook up mine and mine works lol.
I'm 99% sure my page is accurate soooo we'll start with the easy things first.

Does your radio turn on?

The only other suspects you have to check is:

Continuity for ground on - Bolt at bottom of integration relay/fusebox inside car and E1 at the ecu

Check no blown fuses at:
15a Tail fuse
15a Ign fuse
Radio fuse
7.5a Ign fuse
Gauge Fuse (this is a stab in the dark)

Did you test it before installing?

The switch on the side = no idea lol. Didn't really look and now can't remember at all heh

sweet!!!!!!!!!!!! i was hoping youd chime in. so idk how this is working now but it is. i looked in my tsrm and saw that the wire going to E1 is another ground. so i grounded it and it came on.

Something else that also caught my mind was that i saw that for the RPM signal, on the gte, you said its supposed to tap into the wire on the "mystery plug," but for the n/a, you just tap into the rpm wire straight off the tach.

but now i have another problem. Car wont start. Everything worked well last night, fired up and everything with the sm running well. i decided that that time to head to bed (3 am) and put it all back together this morning, so i did so and when i went to leave for school, wouldnt start. I went to go check codes, jumped the terminals and the check engine light doesnt blink. Any thoughts????