Subwoofer Ideas?

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
I was just wondering if anyone has been successful in putting a single sub enclosure in the trunk area while maintaining space to still have the targa top be able to store in the trunk while its out? I have the idea of cutting out a 10" in the spare compartment area but I want to retain the spare. If anyone has any suggestions or so, that would be great!

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
There are plenty 10 or even 12" boxes that are shallow and clear the targa. A lot of truck style boxes work well on their backside. Just measure the trunk and find dimensions of the box in mind.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
suprarx7nut;1724861 said:
There are plenty 10 or even 12" boxes that are shallow and clear the targa. A lot of truck style boxes work well on their backside. Just measure the trunk and find dimensions of the box in mind.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

hes right i have seen this done before

connor.stephens

Nov 17, 2010
Clackamas, OR
I've got a 400 watt 12" pioneer shallow mount (TS-SW3001S4) in my trunk and the targa fits perfectly. and there is more then enough bass. only ran me about $250 with the box too.

Supra NA-T

Total Annihilation
Nov 7, 2010
Leesville,La
Don't have a Targa but here is my shallow mount, The box could be a bit smaller but it works.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

connor.stephens

Nov 17, 2010
Clackamas, OR
^very cool I've never heard of one of these before, to bad its only 250 watts. The sub is heavy enough that you don't need brackets to hold it down and the carpet on the box keeps it from moving too.

LaurentD

Sep 20, 2010
Montreal, Qc
I went through the same questioning last year for my 88 turbo targa, and this is what I have come up with.
IMGP0034.JPG

The targa fits right on top, with room to spare. The sub is 10" shallow mount. The downside to most shallow mount subs is that they have a hard time producing under 40Hz frequencies, and therefore the audio sounds incomplete. What people often forget is that the box is 10x more important than the sub you fit in it. Since I don't have the skills to compute audio analysis into an enclosure I would have built myself, I went with a sub/enclosure combo from Kicker. The great advantage of this is that the enclosure has been specificaly designed for this shallow mount sub. What I was aiming for was definately sound quality, and 1 year into it, I am still very satisfied. It sounds amazing with and without the targa in the trunk (a bit louder when the targa is there too).

As for my setup; no brackets on anything, carpet to carpet friction is well enough, and I didn't get to drill any hole through my carpet. I like to push the supra in corners and acceleration, yet the sub has never moved an inch. The sub + box is a Kicker comp VT that I bought on sale at BestBuy. The Amplifier is a Kicker ZX400.1 that is fitted underneath the cardboard thing of the trunk. It does get hot, but never overheated (Wouldn't do that if the amp didn't have thermal shut-off though). If I were to do it again, it would choose a 500 Watts RMS Amp to go with my 400Watts kicker sub. The wire that is seen in the pic goes through the pre-existent hole in the carpet. It has a speakon connector, for quick disconnecting the sub. This allows me to remove the sub in ~20sec whenever I have to.

All in all, I am very happy with my setup. My supra is bone stock and this keeps the look it too.

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
That looks like a good setup, I just love to keep my spare tire in case anything happens I mean any sub setup would work but being able to keep the targa storage in the back would require some custom box or shallow mount which i could barely find at any store, though i should look into these kind of boxes. Thanks guys!

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
2 examples that work very well...

I used a JL Audio sub box similar to the one LaurentD shows above. Mine was an 8" single woofer in a small box that was shaped like a bazooka tube cut in half long ways. So one side was flat with the woofer face and the other side rounded like a half moon. I faced the woofer down and it fit right underneath the targa top perfectly. It held 150W of RMS power and was plenty of nice, clean , crisp bass for my liking. Nothing rattled. Everything sounded awesome. Sorry no pics. It was in my previous Supra from 10 years ago.

Scenario #2 is far more trick. Have a look at Chris Jensen's setup. He had a custom designed box with 2 Precision Power 8" woofers that faced backwards and fit under his rear strut bar. He posted a nice picture set to show the whole process.

http://cjsupra.kendra.com/wooferbx.html

suprafredde

Apr 21, 2005
South of sweden
92nsx your looks alot like my box i built back in 2004 for my red targa.
Closed box for a CW 10"VMAX sub.
Maybe it will end up in my black ht this summer.

suprafredde

Attachments

• baslÃ¥dan.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 47

mnracer550

Sep 15, 2010
Duluth, Minnesota
u will seriously regret putting a 15'' l7 or l7 for that matter in a shallow box. a sub with that much travel need at least 16" of depth otherwise the back of the box will end up shoving air back to the sub and it will sound like shit. Ur also gonna want i pretty decent amount of box there as well. at least 3.5 cubes IMO.