Subtle grinding noise :: manual R-154

nctexan

Nov 30, 2009
Houston
Very recently I have noticed a subtle, brief grinding noise upon cold start. It happens with and without the clutch depressed, and seems to be getting more pronounced. It it intermittent upon start and will only last about 10-20 seconds, then it goes away. It sounds like it is coming from the clutch/transmission area. I've also noticed that during the grinding, it seems to be starting to "catch" and will drop the RPM's for an instant, almost like it is choking or something. I have a manual R-154 with an new stock-upgraded 2800 lb. pressure plate, new pilot and throwout bearings were installed with the clutch kit and I have roughly 1400 miles on it. This is with an aluminum flywheel on my 1JZ. I read a thread that was talking about the main engine thrust bearings going out when a heavier than stock pressure plate is used, but I think anyone would agree that my pressure plate is just a mild upgrade from stock.

At first I thought that it might be a lack of oil in the transmission, I have a small, slow leak which I think it coming from the speedo connection gasket. But I checked the oil level and put about 1/3 qt. of MT-90 in there after seeing it was a tiny bit low.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I bypassed my clutch start switch and start with it in neutral.

Jack the car and get under and have someone start it an listen for where exactly the noise is coming from.