subframe crack

supraboymk3

Sep 29, 2008
Oakland Ca
hey guys, so i was working on getting my diff in the today when i noticed that the sub frame ha a crack right over the diff. Basically on top of where the diff meets the driveshaft, its not fully cracked through but its some what a bad crack:nono:.:nono: I was thinking has anyone welded there sub frame and has had good results? or should I get a new one? and if so how much do these things cost, with new bushings and all? Just trying to see what are my options here.

thank's

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I'm assuming this is the same subframe crack many others have seen. :(

A new subframe with bushings might require taking out a loan...$$$ I'd try welding or finding a good condition doner subframe.

Others have dealt with subframe cracks and I'm sure they'll chime in. I'm just repeating what I've seen on the forums, so take my advice lightly.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
You mean like this?

p1639523_1.jpg

Exact same place you mention, just above the diff, slightly to the right of center, when looking towards front of car.
My buddy welded it.

supraboymk3

Sep 29, 2008
Oakland Ca
yeah the crack looks something like that, im not sure about geting it welded i mean will it crack again? I mean i have a $500ish budget can i get a good used subframe and all new bushings or im i way off?

ps. will be doing all the work on my own.

thanks guys

jtamulis

www.NotRice.com
Apr 9, 2005
Pittsboro, NC
www.NotRice.com
Take it out, (the whole subframe) And take it to get the crack welded. Then have the welder weld in several gussets here and there (Metal chunks of steel). Across the areas. Then bolt it back up. I've had to do this to a few subframes over the years, and they didn't have any problems after that, easily up to 550rwhp.

Problem solved.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
jtamulis;1639539 said:
Take it out, (the whole subframe) And take it to get the crack welded. Then have the welder weld in several gussets here and there (Metal chunks of steel). Across the areas. Then bolt it back up. I've had to do this to a few subframes over the years, and they didn't have any problems after that, easily up to 550rwhp.

Problem solved.
QFT.

And in case you were wondering, the rear subframe complete with bushings from Toyota is part number 51270-14021, cost is $1707.50. With a good discount you can probably get it for ~$1300.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I'm assuming it's a pre-89 subframe... My 87T had a similar issue. I had it welded, but it was never the same. The 89+ subframes seem to hold up much better and I believe they were reinforced a bit. You should easily be able to find one for about $150 (from what I remember a few years back). Check the for sale section here and on SF for part outs. The welding will only fix that crack and it will likely/eventually crack again in another spot, or the other side.

Good luck!

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
roadboy;1639638 said:
i remembered i saw in a thread that someone made a diff mount support, does anyone here make one?

Unfortunately, no. Be nice if someone made some of these again, however, the problem is making it worthwhile. There aren't that many people who would be in the market for one, so the R&D costs can't be diluted by much, so... they're going to be holy shit expensive.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
GrimJack;1639669 said:
Unfortunately, no. Be nice if someone made some of these again, however, the problem is making it worthwhile. There aren't that many people who would be in the market for one, so the R&D costs can't be diluted by much, so... they're going to be holy shit expensive.

We'll see in the new year Dave ;)
(I have the room/time to produce car parts now so will be looking at various niche products in small runs as I can keep the overheads to a minimum here)

Trnsprtr

Jun 2, 2008
Stanley, NC
I have a good one in my pile-o-parts if you need it; honestly not real motivated to ship it but it's available if you can't find one closer.