stupid wheel bearing!

twan

Supramania Contributor
Oct 18, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
over the past 3 months ive put on a lot of mileage on my car and there was this grinding noise coming from the front of the car that was associated with the speed i was going. i was confident it was the driver side wheel bearing because it went away when i turned the steering wheel fast. and one time i jacked the car to check play in the ball joints and i found the lug nuts half off! so on friday i parked the car in the garage and took it all apart pressed out old and in new wheel bearing from napa skf ($100) and oil seal then i finally assembled everything today and i took it for a spin.

it still randomly makes the grinding noise but not as loud. im so pissed! then im like what could it be!!!??? and i kind of noticed my speedometer jitter as the grinding noise came back. how could i not notice this before? anyways i'll investigate more tomorrow

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
usually a wheel bearing will make noise on a turn for the oppisite side. ie like your right wheel bearing is out and it makes noise when turning left. but they can make noise at all times.

sure both sides are not bad?
did you check for play before replacing?
how are your brakes?
dust shield rubbing?
abs sensor rubbing?

twan

Supramania Contributor
Oct 18, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
there was deff a rattle in the driver's side (what is this called? the right side of the car?) when i took it out. the ball joints and everything is fine, and brakes are near worn but are not touching the squealing metal tab yet so i didn't bother changing the pads yet. and i didnt check for play in the wheel bearing i just kinda figured it was it which i think now was a stupid idea!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
drivers side is the left side.

you should do some further inspection instead of just throwing parts at it.

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
same problem here. theres a chip in my driver side front rim from the previous owner and making a right turn makes this bearing race noise. let me know if you find out what it was.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
^why dont you find out whats wrong with your car as his problem might not be the same as yours!