Stupid Supra goes ting ting...

Ne0z

Apr 2, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota, United States
arite, i have an 87 n/a auto supra with the total lack of options package, lol, it has a slight problem, it has some engine knock, now, its not your normal 'im a 7m imma explode' kinda knock

i dont think there is anything out of place inside the engine... i have changed my own oil a number of times and never found any kind of metal shavings which i was told was a sure sign of rod knock, ive beaten the shit outta the car trying to just kill the damn engine but the knocking hasnt changed since i baught it, so im thinking possible pre-det problem or something but i cant quite source it... the car will run fine every once in a blue moon with no knock, but then will do it later in the day

increasing oil weight hasnt helped at all and generally ive noticed that high oil weight on a car that knocks the less knock there is

the car only knocks after EXACTLY 2800rpms, EVERYthing else under that it is totally normal, the compression checks out in all cylinders, has new plugs/wires so none are fouled, and it still has all the power that an n/a supra should have (lol, which isnt much)

any help or ideas on this would be greatly appreciated

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
how many miles do you have?

i've heard of cars making a knocking at only high rpm or only under acceleration. i THINK it was something like worn pistons or something. but i have no clue. hopefully someone smarter than me will chime in.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
FYI...

Rod knock usually happens first at about 2500 rpm and as the engine transitions from load to decel or vise versa. And it's not normaly very loud to begin with, it'll get worse with age if it's rod knock - and mild cases will have no shavings in the oil.

jast14

Apr 5, 2005
DFW TX
My supra makes a ting ting nose till it warms up and then it goes away could that be rod knock?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
here's a good test to tell if it's rodknock, AND will let you know which cylander it's in if you do have knock.

turn off the car. pull one sparkplug wire, start car. rev it, if you still hear the noise, turn the car off, then plug that wire back in.

then do another, and repeat that step for all six sparkplug wires. you wont hear knock if the cylander isnt firing.

if you unplug one of the wires, and you dont hear the 'knock' anymore, then A) yes you have knock, and B) now you know which cylander you're knocking in.

MAKE SURE YOU TURN THE CAR OFF BEFORE PULLING A WIRE, IF YOU GET ZAPPED, IT HURTS LIKE HELL!!!

-shaeff

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
[STORY]
a short story for us all to chuckle at.

when i was probably 11-12yrs old, my dad was out in the driveway working on his 1970 chevy malibu chevelle ragtop. (350ci, mild cam, holley 750 carb). he was messing with the carb, adjusting the float, if i remember correctly. well, to mess with him, i thought i'd unplug one of the sparkplugs to make it idle funny. (i knew a little about cars then, enough to know that pulling a plug wire would make a miss at idle)

well, as the story goes, i grab onto one of those wires and give 'er a tug. much to my dad's amusement, (he was watching me out of the corner of his eye) when i pulled the wire it zapped the hell out of me! i couldnt feel my hand for like 5 minutes! (and our coilpacks probably put out more than my dad's old distributor cap does)

so, speaking from personal experience, dont pull a plug wire while the car's running. i know they make insulated tools to do it nowadays, but i still refuse. it doesnt take that long to just turn the car off.

-shaeff [/STORY]

chriso

Supranian
Apr 5, 2005
Bay Area, CA
shaeff said:
MAKE SURE YOU TURN THE CAR OFF BEFORE PULLING A WIRE, IF YOU GET ZAPPED, IT HURTS LIKE HELL!!!

I used to have my brother hold the spark plug from our mopeds against the engine block while I cranked the engine over to check the spark. He never did learn to trust me after that but it was still pretty funny now that I think of it. He is a surgeon now.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
heh or you could just not ground yourself w/ the car.

btw the whole pulilng plug, no noise =rodknock what else could cause a "knock" type sound i herad knock in my friends laser and yea it does sound like a hammer in a cylinder but not w/ oil, heh, with oil it is hardly noticable its not even a constant knock. im not about to drain my oil and run it to find out. is there anything else that could cause an unusual ticking knocking taping sound. i have 70k miles and by golly im to young to get knock.
could the tips on spark plugs be enough to make that noise, would they even stay in the cylinder? valves sticking? injectors... fucking w/ my brian???? im tired of this fear i almost feel like draining my oil and driving 2000 miles to get it over w/. then again ,, i dont.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
i wanna get a 240 and put an sr20det s15 engine in it or a skyline w/ an r33, im willing to rebuild this one but its testing my patience