Stupid Question (1jz no start)

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
FIXED!!!
ok this is the stupidest crap ever and I have no idea what was wrong with it. all I did was pull off my ic piping and sprayed a crap load of starting fluid in the mani. I cranked the engine and it started up really poorly (misfiring and stumbling really rough). so I hit the gas pedal to see if it would rev and it reved mostly fine. I let off the gas expecting it to die but it got down to like 1500rmp and idle a little rough then smoothed out and the idle fell to normal. Then I turned it off cranked it again and it started right up and is running fine. Can anyone explain this to me I'm really curious. did the ECU "forget" where the crank was and needed it to spin to work it out? that's all I could figure.

hello,
first off I searched. I have a 1jz, last week I pulled into my neighborhood and all of the sudden my engine backfires sputters and dies. first I assumed the worst pushed my car to my garage and did a compression check. all good. turns our the problem was that when I redid the timing belt (over a year ago) I put the tensioner back on with only one bolt :nono: (cuz I stripped the threads on the other side and I was like "screw it I'll fix it later"). anyways the bolt sheered off. so I got that fixed, tapped the hole, got the tensioner back on (with two bolts!!!), retimed it BUT IT WONT START!!! I've had to time this car like 5 time so I know I got that right. crank on 0* cams at 12:00. I know I'm getting spark because I pulled the coil packs, stuck them near then intake mani and I can see them spark. I know I got fuel because I can smell gas in the exhaust pipe (I left it a couple of days and smelled before and after cranking, there was an unmistakable difference). I know the 1jz is NON-interference, plus the cams were only out about 10*, plus I did a compression check so I know that's all good.

When I crank it it doesn't even sputter or anything. It sounds just like it does if you were to pull the efi fuse (oh ya, check that too its good). I know I must be missing something simple and I know this engine intermittently. I wouldn't even be posting another 1jz wont start thread except that I'm going back to school in two days and I need my car. I really just need someone to tell me what simple thing I've overlooked. The car has ran without a single incident for over a year and it just died when the tensioner fell off, so lets not assume that something coincidentally went out at the exact moment that that happened.

Thank you in advance
Kelson

P.S. I'm more then happy to double check anything, cuz I've been wrong before.

List of mods,

Cometic Head gasket
Head was machined not exactly sure how much but < 1mm
2jz cams
Farrea valves (Intake 1mm over)
ported head
FMIC
piping
full 3" exhaust
~13psi
safc II
oh ya and fuel pump is on a switch, I know that I'm getting fuel.

Last edited:

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Yeah, when the tensioner fell off/broke I'd bet it hit the sensor or wires for the crank sensor.

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
I did check that the wires are intact and its plugged in. I suppose I could test the sensor just to make sure, but I doubt that's it. My multimeter is at school so I'll try to borrow one to poke around in there. In the meantime any other suggestions?

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
T701jz;1794023 said:
Did you remove the first plug to make sure the cylinder is at up position when you did the timing?

No I have not. I was About to but then I got to thinking and it really makes no sense that it wouldn't be at tdc when the crank is at 0 degrees. In like an hour I'll just check for kicks a giggles tough.

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
ok so I cranked the engine and still noting. pulled the No.1 spark plug and it was coated in fuel. I verified that the No.1 piston is at tdc when the crank is at 0*. Then I plugged the spark plug into the coil and I can still see it sparking! is it possible when retiming this engine to have it firing at the top of the exhaust stroke rather then compression. that's the only thing I can figure, but as I understand that's not possible on this engine. please tell me I'm wrong.

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
ok, I don't think it could be that either because I switch the clips around on the coil packs so that No.6 lead was on No.1 spark plug and No.5 lead was on No.2 spark plug. first I cranked with the coil packs on the mani to ensure they were sparking, they were. then I put them on the spark plugs, cranked again and still noting!!! SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!! I'm pulling my hair out here. actually new plan, I sell the engine to a physicist so he can observe what is going on inside the cylinder. because whatever it is, I don't think it can be explained by conventional physics.