Stupid Intake Manifold

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
Why wont it come off? I took all the throttle body stuff off, and i got the main part with the cold start injector and etc that I need to get off so I can move the wiring and pull the head, but it wont come off. I took off all the mounting bolts, tried to unbolt the egr? on the firewall side, but it wont seem to budge off the mani. And I unbolted the support as well.

It just wont come off, am I missing something?

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
ok so you're not removing the big plenum, but the actual manifold that bolts onto the head? are you SURE you removed all the nuts and bolts? i think there are 7...consult the TSRM to make sure...

the gasket could have stuck the intake manifold to the head really tight as well. as far as i remember that's the only SOLID thing holding it on. there is a mounting brace that bolts the manifold to the block but that should have been unbolted when you tried to remove it....

ill Z

Back on the Grind
Mar 18, 2007
USA
Jack the car up and with a bright light look from the bottom up. Your missing something, also use your fingers to feel around the manifold flange, I'm betting your missing one or two of the bolts that is between the runners.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Yeah sounds like you are missing a bolt or nut. They do have a tendacy to stick a little but you have to make sure you have all the bolts off. Usally a quick knock with the heel of your hand is all it takes to knock it loose.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
run your fingures along with the EGR lines, make sure all of those bolts are out. run your fingures through out the whole intake mani. Consult TSRM if needed.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Pull the head with it on, and get it when you have it on the floor. Just make sure the bracket to the block is off.

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
look at the nuts and bolts you pulled off and consult the TSRM for the number it should have. or look on a new gasket if you have one. Also, i vaguely remember one of the VSV's getting in my way...as one bolts on with the manifold. this happened to mee to i think, one of the bolts on the bottom is hard to see and realize its there.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
My bet is it is EGR related. Make sure all of the bolts are out of it.

And, as Cuel said..........You don't have to remove it remove the head. That method would require removing your wiring harness though, and that would be a pain in the ass without removing the plenum. But once you did that, the plenum makes for a nice handle on the head, and also would adds a little leverage for breaking it loose. I use the lower manifold for this, but never the plenum.

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
--EDIT!!-----

OH!! I totally forgot that EGR stuff!! you have to remove the EGR tube because those bolts thread through the intake manifold into the head....

but see if this doesn't help with this one way or another;

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=EM&P=40

it says 4 nuts, 7 bolts...if you do not have those off the engine already there are still one or two on there. take em' off.

here's an image with the intake gasket, third from the top- notice the two EGR bolt holes on the left end.

gasket%207mgte.jpg

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
i definately got the four bolts in between the runners, and i unscrewed the 2 bolts on the firewall side of the plenum for where the metal egr thing attaches, but that is stuck to the intake definately.

by the way, im talking about the actual curved part of the manifold. im in the process of moving the car over to my moms b/fs shop, and ill go at it again from their. its just frusterating because I have to get that off to get the wiring out of the way. :(

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
there are 7 nuts/bolts (not sure, but 7 of something) holding the curved upright plenum to the intake manifold. When i say intake manifold i'm referring to the short piece that extends 5 or 6 inches from the head, to the plenum that goes up and then over the engine.

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
Figit090 said:
there are 7 nuts/bolts (not sure, but 7 of something) holding the curved upright plenum to the intake manifold. When i say intake manifold i'm referring to the short piece that extends 5 or 6 inches from the head, to the plenum that goes up and then over the engine.

their are 7? i got... 5? i think.nut on the very left, the bolts between the runners, and the nut on the very right. also, the support, the 2 bolts for the egr connection, hm.. i think im jus takin it to a friends shop who knows imports pretty well. that, or crushing the dam car lol