Stumbling at 5psi

ryostyle

Aug 11, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Just bought an 87 USDM Turbo and it is stumbling at 5PSI. It has a rebuilt head, HKS stopper HG and ARP studs as well as a Walbro 255. Everything else is stock.

Car stumbles when you get to 5PSI and slightly bucks. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. Just bought it yesterday and would like to get this sorted out. :nono:

ryostyle

Aug 11, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Second time owning a MK3 Turbo. Just spoke to the previous owner and he said this issue started when he shimmed the WG and "played with the timing". When I get home I'll check the timing to make sure it is to spec. I have unshimmed the WG. Do you think screwy timing is likely a cause for my issue?

ryostyle

Aug 11, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Put it in the shop today for a boost leak test with smoke. The accordion hose was cracked at the turbo and the fuel injector o-Rings were going bad. Had all of that replaced. Timing was checked again. They will tackle the TPS being out of adjustment tomorrow. Would code 51 cause the hard hesitation that I get if I go anywhere near boost? This is the only code I have remaining. It is idling at 1100ish due to the TPS.

I also tried replacing the AFM with a spare I have and no change.

ryostyle

Aug 11, 2010
Sacramento, CA
My gut feeling is I have a clogged primary cat. When the car is on the lift later today I'll have the downpipe removed after the turbo elbow and see if it makes boost. Keeping my fingers crossed.

ryostyle

Aug 11, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Dropped the downpipe... No change. This is killing me. Any other ideas. The shop has had it for 2 days. Would a video help? Feels like a fuel cut immediately when boost comes on. Almost like launch control. Sputtering, just when boost tries to come on.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
What happened with the code 51? And you reset everything after fixing the codes (pull EFI fuse or disconnect battery)? You swapped coils, but did you check the plugs? Correct heat range and gap? Plug wires inspected?

ryostyle

Aug 11, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Still have code 51, need to remove the throttle body to access the bottom Phillips screw. The shop today said it loses fuel pressure under load, essentially a fuel cut issue.

The fuel pressure isn't keeping up with demand.

The previous owner put in a Walbro.

Could be a clogged fuel filter or a kink in the line. Maybe they botched it dropping the tank.

ryostyle

Aug 11, 2010
Sacramento, CA
after searching the web for days I read a bunch of threads that say that the Walbro 255 has issues with the stock Fuel Pressure Relay, staying at 9v and dropping fuel pressure. I'm going to bypass it when I get home and see if this fixes the issue. The previous owner installed the Walbro but didn't do anything else. It whines crazy loud too. I'm also told that Walbro pumps hate being powered at anything less than 12v.