Stuffing a 7MGTE in a Corolla

realxlai

Sep 24, 2008
alexandria va
So I have been searching around the 86 forums with no luck and am trying to find out some information in regards to swapping a 7MGTE into an 86corolla.:

Does anyone know what modifications need to be done with the motor mounts?
I read they needed to be rewelded and moved but by how much?
Also what modifications need to be done to the firewall for the R154 to fit?

So far to my knowledge I need a 5M oil pan and pump, custom driveshaft, possible firewall modification, motor mounts.. what else?

:1zhelp:

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
and probably a custom/new radiator... i've seen an AE86 + 7mgte on craigslist before... it didnt look like it fit too well. haha.

why the 7mgte though? why not get the 1jz so you can rev it a lot higher?

heavydrifter

Mar 5, 2008
St. louis
I've have been planning to do the same swap. I am going 2jz so I wanted something light to put the 7m in. Corolla=1500 lbs.... sounds good to me.

But It will mess up the handling.

Buts its my supra that will be going sideways and the corolla will just be something to screw around with.

Wait do I have soemthing backwards?.... hahah

Supra... sideways...

corolla....straight... hmmm sounds good to me

realxlai

Sep 24, 2008
alexandria va
It's all gravy. As for getting a 240z, that's an idea but I have access to a corolla for very cheap so its what I want to work with.

Anyone have any info pertaining to the swap?

heavydrifter

Mar 5, 2008
St. louis
I'm looking for info on it too. but have only seen them for sale. no build threads though.

You could join club4ag.com and see if they have anyone on there with the swap?

gtimportfanatic

Mk3 Addict
May 21, 2008
Hartford CT
i've seen ppl swap them into the corolla like mine which is the 1983 .. i dont know the details except that the tunnel for the tranny had to be extended and widened

heavydrifter

Mar 5, 2008
St. louis
So I've been looking into it some more.

So the GTS rear end can't handle the 7m's torque. so you would have to do a ford rear end swap which would be a $1500 swap. but the rear end would outlast the car and you wouldnt need to buy another one...ever.

So looks like mine's going into a 240 or something else that comes along.

Nomad707

Im From The Bay
Mar 14, 2007
Santa Rosa, California
cool man.. i been thinking about it alot.. the corolla has a good base for it i think.. its just a perfect match imo.... would be a sweet swap too.. plus i dont know if anyone has done it yet..