Strut install question

theDon

The Don
Mar 31, 2005
Med-City, USA (Rochester, MN)
I'm in the process of installing coilovers and it has been extremely easy IMHO. Only tough part was having to use a breaker bar on some older/siezed suspension bolts. I didn't have to compress springs however, you'll want to buy a spring compressor for saftey or bad things can happen :)

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
I've done at least two dozen spring/strut swaps on various mk3's N/A and turbo, early years and late years, never needed a spring compressor. Once you remove the spring and strut assembly from the car there isn't much tension on the spring. No need for any specialized tools, just a regular socket set, ratchet and a breaker bar.

spipedong

Level 2 Rythym Rogue
Apr 2, 2005
Eugene, OR
Supra Blues said:
Forgot to mention that the supe is already riding on lowered eibach springs.

What does that do for me???

To the best of my knowledge that removes what little preload there was on the stock springs and you shouldn't have any trouble.

Of course for liability purposes, I would always say to grab the compressor from autozone, since they only charge you a deposit and you get the money back in full upon return of the tool.

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
Just an update and to add info to the thread.

Replaced my rear struts on Sunday afternoon. The first one took about an hour because I really didn't know what I was doing (first time ever, working with struts). The second one took about 20 minutes.

Very pleased with the outcome. With the eibach lowering springs, there was very little to no preload on the spring. No need for a spring compressor here.

Might be a little easier had I removed the swaybar end links as it would have allowed me to push the suspension down a little more and given me a little more working room, but all in all the rears are very simple.

I am gonna change the fronts next weekend. Let you know how that goes.

wh0wants2know

Apr 4, 2005
seattle
when you do the fronts, remove the washer fluid bottle, it'll make it a lot easier. It can be done without removing it, but it's harder.