Stripped Head bolt

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Ahh. Find a torx bit that is close to the size of the hole, should be a tiny bit bigger. Tap it into the stripped allen hole. You want to align the points on the torx to the corners of the hexagonal hole. Make sure it seats all the way in, and goes in straight. Just a guess off the top of my head, maybe a t-45 or t-50 would be about right. You can pick up a cheap set that ranges from t-25 to t-50 at Auto Zone, O'rielly's, etc.

Setheroo

^_^ got horespower?
Oct 16, 2006
Tennessee
www.revogate.com
I used the regular sized allen socket, and covered it in JB weld... I hammered it straight in and let it sit for a while. Once it sat for a while, it was hard as a rock, and I had no problem busting that sucker loose.

That is what I did - and I suggest you try the same.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
You could try something simple like digging the 20 years of sludge out of the head bolt so that your 10mm allen will go all the way in.

I have done that for 2 guys here, who didn't realize that their allen wrench was not going all the way in.

Both cases, there was damn near a 1/4" of sediment in the hole.
I scraped it out with a small screwdriver, and was able to break the bolt loose.

Of course you should throw that bolt away.........

77celi

Jan 5, 2008
Washington
Yes I dug all the sludge out, when I was taking all of them out I has tapping the allen all the way down.
I also was thinking of the torx.
Thank you for the help I'll let you know how it goes.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
77celi;950726 said:
I got the bolt out. I used a breaker bar and a hammer.
Tools of a true backyard mechanic. You might want to get a bigger hammer then you could be classified as a Master Tech:)

Glad it worked for ya.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
I do industrial machine repair & maintenance for a living.
And I swear I have more styles of hammers than most people know exist !

Good Job on figuring it out.