Stripped exhaust threads

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
if the stud will still barely thread into head, all u have to do is put red threadlock on the thread or jb weld. hand tighten the stud and leat it sit over night BEFORE you bolt on manifold. that stud will never come loose again esp. if u use jb weld. it works, ive done it a hundred times.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
+1 to driftmotion and aaron...

got the in car kit of the stock size... installed, still stripped (not his fault very old head and seen quite a few overheats)

had the larger kit overnighted (not from japan you F&F freaks)... cut the drill bit and used a drill doctor on it to resharpen, did it in car and it worked perfectly.

Loktite won't work as the head gets hotter than the red loktite will handle. Not to mention jbweld will make the head junk of the stud strips as it will NEVER come out again...

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
ive used jb weld twice on stripped exhaust man. studs, never had any other issues. whenever i took man. off, i left studs in the head. they never need to come out- hence jb weld works as long as theres enough threads left to screw in stud at least most of the way. ive aslo used lock tight without issue- although the threads were not in as bad of shape.
im NOT trying to start argument- just saying it has worked for me several times over.

87supes

May 7, 2007
westcoast
i haven't read through all the theads so excuse if it's a duplicate....... but, I have ran into the same problem and noticed that the stock studs only seat 8mm into the head, where there is 20mm of depth, so you can chase the threads and then install studs that are longer.... just make sure they are not too long as to avoid bottoming them out. This usually works.... the other trick is to torque the exhaust manifold nuts in stages as the problem seems to be caused by slightly warped exhaust manifolds or corrosion.