Street driving on a 5.5" race clutch

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
Sounds insane I know... Has anyone done it? could it be done even on a triple disc clutch?

The reason I ask is because I would like to go to the extreme on my V12 build in terms of engine response and would be willing to sacrifice a few things like driveability to have that.

I'm building the car as a track car (RR, not drag), but I don't think I'll be able to put a lot of track time on it anyways and would like it to be street legal so that every once in a blue moon I can take it out to a meet or something...

I know the implications of using a 5.5" in the sense of heat dispersion and durability, but can it be used on the street where you would have only a few stops and start it from about 700 rpm to be easy on the clutch?

Any info would be helpful...

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
Sure, if your good at modulating the clutch, and don't mind chirping the tires a little, even with a cop next to you in the other lane.
(I try to look real small, and unconcerned when this happens)

RotaryHead

Gets beat up by Motors
Aug 27, 2009
Tucker, Georgia, United States
yea modulating the clutch is the bigest issue other then that itll be fine. i always use a stage 4 or higher clutch. forget i have it sometime and haf to catch it before i stall.well ive never had the triple disk but ive heard there easier to use

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
gofastgeorge;1469323 said:
Sure, if your good at modulating the clutch, and don't mind chirping the tires a little, even with a cop next to you in the other lane.
(I try to look real small, and unconcerned when this happens)

RotaryHead;1469381 said:
yea modulating the clutch is the bigest issue other then that itll be fine. i always use a stage 4 or higher clutch. forget i have it sometime and haf to catch it before i stall.well ive never had the triple disk but ive heard there easier to use

Sorry guys, but did you notice I said a 5.5" clutch? From what you're saying, it sounds like you're talking about a much larger clutch.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Double the firing pulses per rpm is going to help but depending on where the mass is in the bolt on flywheel/friction surface it's NOT going to have a lot of kinetic energy so will take some pedalling to get going.

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
IJ.;1469387 said:
Double the firing pulses per rpm is going to help but depending on where the mass is in the bolt on flywheel/friction surface it's NOT going to have a lot of kinetic energy so will take some pedalling to get going.

That's the issue...and pedaling will create heat, and heat kills clutches... :nono:

You reckon it can be done though? What I don't wanna see happen is spend all the money on this setup, and then burn the clutch after two or three uses around town...

Normally 5.5" are used for circuit racing and they push start the cars to get them going...

The good thing I have going is that I have the 4.30 rear (for now) and the car will be stripped down to a bare chassis...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
In the past I've used Auto drive plates with a bolted on fristion surface to mount up a normal size clutch with good results, for a road car you want a sprung hub and discs with marcel springs anything less is too much of a compromise.