Strange sound when accelerating.

wadadlidp

Wicket!
May 19, 2006
MARYLAND
mine does it only when driving when i engage the clutch it does'nt do it.could any of this relate to not enough oil pressure.

Neil

Poker of the Smot
Apr 29, 2006
In the Supe
Anywho, I guess the sound kinda sounds like something that is spinning with a gap.. so when it hits the middle of what it's on it makes that metallic noise...that wouldn't be too good..

wadadlidp

Wicket!
May 19, 2006
MARYLAND
i went to 2 different shops and had them listen to the noise they both suggested that it sounds like cheap gas,and since the last thing i did was change my oil they suggested trying a diffrent weight oil. i used 10w30 the last time so i changed it to 40w and that's systhetic. i have'nt changed my gas yet, but after changing my oil i'm still hearing it so when my gas runs out i'll change it n let u know how it turned out.

Neil said:
Anywho, I guess the sound kinda sounds like something that is spinning with a gap.. so when it hits the middle of what it's on it makes that metallic noise...that wouldn't be too good..

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
wadadlidp said:
i went to 2 different shops and had them listen to the noise they both suggested that it sounds like cheap gas

Either you've done the worlds worst job of describing low octane induced detonation (which I doubt) or you need to go find a shop that has a clue.

wadadlidp said:
and since the last thing i did was change my oil they suggested trying a diffrent weight oil. i used 10w30 the last time so i changed it to 40w and that's systhetic.

If anything to do with the oil change had caused 'strange mechanical noises' it would mean permanent engine damage (again I doubt it) so once again I'm really wondering what kind of 'shops' these are.

wadadlidp said:
i have'nt changed my gas yet, but after changing my oil i'm still hearing it so when my gas runs out i'll change it n let u know how it turned out.

Please do. As a matter of fact, if it's 'cheap gas', just going and filling it up with some 93 octane should make a big difference, even if the tank isn't 100% empty. I'd be really suprised if that is it.

wadadlidp

Wicket!
May 19, 2006
MARYLAND
and your right i changed the gas and it's still making the same noise,but at a higher rpm.

Supracentral said:
Either you've done the worlds worst job of describing low octane induced detonation (which I doubt) or you need to go find a shop that has a clue.

If anything to do with the oil change had caused 'strange mechanical noises' it would mean permanent engine damage (again I doubt it) so once again I'm really wondering what kind of 'shops' these are.

Please do. As a matter of fact, if it's 'cheap gas', just going and filling it up with some 93 octane should make a big difference, even if the tank isn't 100% empty. I'd be really suprised if that is it.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
wadadlidp said:
and your right i changed the gas and it's still making the same noise,but at a higher rpm.

Ok, now we are getting somewhere. You put fresh gas in and it changed the RPM the noise was occuring at?

What's your ignition timing look like? Could just be radically advanced timing.

supraman420

Jetta time
Aug 16, 2005
Chicago
Hey Neil, I noticed that your "pimping the flowmaster." Thats awesome, I put one on my old supra and it sounded awesome. I used to love starting that thing when it was cold!!! Sorry your car is doing some funky things, mine was too..... :3d_frown:
And I'm not leaving this forum until you guys force me to!!! Supras rock and I'm sorry I bought a Jetta. :icon_razz

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
How much higher rpm is it making the noise?

Pull a spark plug out, and examine it closely... specifically, look for tiny specks on the porcelain (I can never spell that word right :3d_frown: )

Neil

Poker of the Smot
Apr 29, 2006
In the Supe
supraman420 said:
Hey Neil, I noticed that your "pimping the flowmaster." Thats awesome, I put one on my old supra and it sounded awesome. I used to love starting that thing when it was cold!!! Sorry your car is doing some funky things, mine was too..... :3d_frown:
And I'm not leaving this forum until you guys force me to!!! Supras rock and I'm sorry I bought a Jetta. :icon_razz

Stupid Jettas :p Anyhow, I found out my problem :D Finally... It was simple, the ring on the tranny end of the drive shaft came off of it's rectangle/ovalish socket so it was spinnin' like a mother, I think it's a dust protector or something but not sure. Just had to slide my driveshaft back put the ring on and slide it back in, ta da :)

This thread totally left my topic too :( Thats not fair lol

Neil

Poker of the Smot
Apr 29, 2006
In the Supe
Uhg, that ring fell off again and it's making that noise :( Anyone have any idea why that would happen...? Kinda odd the ring isn't bent or anything it just fell off again! So it's back to ringalingding:3d_frown: Prolly have to go buy a new one or something but still lame!

Neil

wadadlidp

Wicket!
May 19, 2006
MARYLAND
i took my supra to my trusted mechanic and it seems that my noise is coming from rod knock so i'm in trouble he said it was in the early stage. so im going to put some money a side to get that job done. anyone that has any ideas for me while my motor is out don't hesitate to post a comment i currently have a JDM motor and i'm looking for more power i also just did a head job. thanks!

supramacist said:
mmmmm, ya. Take it off and forget about it and chalk it up to weight reduction.:naughty: