strange smoke/mist

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
i started the car up only a few times this spring to see how its running after fixing a few probems over the winter and every time i pull it out of my garage there is a fine haze of smoke or mist coming out of my vents in the dash. i beleive i have a power steering leak somewhere i haven been able to find yet. is it possible that this is the culprit behind this haze? or could it be something totally different? has this happened to anyone else?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
i believe you can get a new heatercore at the local parts stores for $40-$60ish...

changing it out is the fun part, if you've never taken out a dash before. :)

-shaeff

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
pulling the dash apart is going to be interesting but it has to be done and im sure ill learn some things and fix a few electrical problems i needed to fix for a while now. im suprised they can be had for that cheap at a parts store.

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
lol, i love them too. only problem is every time i come close to being able to take the car for a nice drive and clean it up and take some good photos something goes wrong.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
stanzaspeed said:
thank you! im glad its nothing too serious. time to start lookin for a heater core!

lol. Nothing serious? I had the dash of my 84 out for 2 months before I got it back together. It'll take all your mechanical skills to put that stupid thing in.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
mkiiSupraMan18 said:
lol. Nothing serious? I had the dash of my 84 out for 2 months before I got it back together. It'll take all your mechanical skills to put that stupid thing in.

if you pay attention and work efficiently, it should only take you about 2-3 hours. if i remember correctly, it didnt take me that long, and it was my first time ever pulling a dash out of any car.

a quick note about pulling the dash. many people pull the steering wheel off, when this isnt necessary. under the steering column there are two large nuts (i believe they have washers too) that hold the steering column up. if you pull your driver's seat forward all the way, (so the steering wheel/column assembly can rest on it) and pull those two nuts off, the column will drop, making the dash pull 1000x easier. no need to pull the wheel.

i think there's a site that guides you through it... let me check... yep, there is.

http://duanesmith.nstemp.net/autoheater.html

i find it easier to wing it, but thats just me. good luck!

-shaeff

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
Maybe its different on the MKII's, I just got so fed up with it that I couldnt bring myself to put it back together, if it was going to be stubborn, I was going to be as well. I think it might have taken me 4-5 hours to do, of course not all at once though. I'm one of those people where if I get pissed, things tend to break (not on purpose) because I just get "over it" and try to force things into places they don't go. I'm sure everyone is like this, to some degree, but I just decided to get it back together, count my losses, and walk away. I wasn't/ain't trying to discourage, but changing the thing was no walk in the park.