Strange noise from top end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopSecret

"Fudge you, butthole!"
Sep 4, 2005
BC
1987 Turbo 5-speed BPU (exhaust, intake, swaybars)

Basically we bought the supra back from a buddy who has just become fed up with the sheer volume of cash that Christine (The supra) consumes. Basically he had fully rebuilt the engine, rebuilt the turbo head, etc. So then the engine started making a knocking sound and that was it for him and the car had to go.

Bob said the cams were pretty scored up, but not bad enough to warrant replacing the cams.

So here is what it does:

Idle: sounds perfect, no abnormal noise or vibration.
Throttle blipping: A quiet knock that sounds like a rod knock but very very quiet. You can barely hear it over the engines natural sounds
Accelleration: Can not hear the noise. I did not exceed 4000rpm, so I don’t know if the noise comes on past that point.
Underload w/turbo: No noise
Constant throttle @ 2500rpm+: Anywhere past 2500 we get the sound that seems like a rod knock, but it’s rather quiet. The engine is completely smooth. No shuttering or odd vibrations. If say we were to start to go up a hill, held the throttle at the same place it would keep making the noise up until the turbo started to spool up, then it would start to get quieter. As the turbo past into positive manifold pressure the sound went completely away.
Compression braking: no noise
0 throttle, in 5th slowing down: noise was sometimes there, but seemed rather random.

We havn’t pushed the engine hard enough to even know how high the boost will go. We havn’t had it past 5lbs of boost. We did some 1/4throttle to 4k through all 5. It would make the noise during the path to 4K, but only in first.

Temp and Oil pressure were both constant and good. Oil level is completely up and the engine is not consuming oil or water. Pulls very strong and hard with zero hesitation. Fuel consumption is pretty standard… Uses the same amount of fuel it used to when we first owned the car. Fuel is chevron 94 octane.

Not much else comes to mind. Any ideas what it might be?

Thanx

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
you can send a sample of your oil off to be tested for bearing matirial. that might help narrow it down. theres a thread about those type of servises somewhere on here. i thought i read in a book somewhere that there was a general rule of thumb for knocking noises. like rodknock happens between X and Yrpms, pistons knock under such and such conditions. cant remember it though. anyone know what i'm talking about? might be helpful here.

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
Check the front dampener. I've seen loose ones make a sound as you descirbe. Toyota dampeners are a 'snug' fit, but not overly tight on the crank, like chevys and fords and some other imports. During my Toyota years (5), I could easily remove it after the bolt was out, with 2 big pry bars. I never needed a puller.

Also, check the crank for play, front to back, as the thrust washers may be the cause.

TopSecret

"Fudge you, butthole!"
Sep 4, 2005
BC
souprat said:
you can send a sample of your oil off to be tested for bearing matirial. that might help narrow it down. theres a thread about those type of servises somewhere on here. i thought i read in a book somewhere that there was a general rule of thumb for knocking noises. like rodknock happens between X and Yrpms, pistons knock under such and such conditions. cant remember it though. anyone know what i'm talking about? might be helpful here.

The oil was changed when the headgasket was done. The oil is perfectly clean. Though this is a completely rebuilt motor. I did notice that the timing belt is exceptionally tight...

For a while I was thinking mabye cracked piston or a broken skirt... but all in all the engine just runs too smooth, too strong for me to believe that it is actually a true rod knock.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Sounds like a very mild rod knock to me. You're local to me, right? Vancouver, BC area? If you feel like stopping past my place so I can hear it, I can tell you whether it's rod knock or not, I'm rather familiar with it. :(

NavySupra

Sep 30, 2005
Langley, BC, Canada
GrimJack said:
Sounds like a very mild rod knock to me. You're local to me, right? Vancouver, BC area? If you feel like stopping past my place so I can hear it, I can tell you whether it's rod knock or not, I'm rather familiar with it. :(

We'll be in the delta/surrey area tonight... I'll try to find a way to get ahold of you.

NavySupra

Sep 30, 2005
Langley, BC, Canada
Well after driving Christine for the weekend the noise has become more prominent and noticeable. It is now there underpower past 4k rpm.

The engine is now using and leaking oil. Though It still produces the power. Unfortuantly the noise is getting loud enough to suggest to me to stop driving the car all together until a rebuild is put into effect.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Sorry I didn't call yesterday night - I went directly to dinner from work and from there straight into the theatre to see Serenity - (AWESOME flick, by the way) and spent all day today working on assembling my engine.

Does it sound like someone is whacking away at the block with a hammer?

NavySupra

Sep 30, 2005
Langley, BC, Canada
GrimJack said:
Sorry I didn't call yesterday night - I went directly to dinner from work and from there straight into the theatre to see Serenity - (AWESOME flick, by the way) and spent all day today working on assembling my engine.

Does it sound like someone is whacking away at the block with a hammer?

The more I think about it and listen to it I think it's the wrist pin. I had a good mechanic friend of mine listen to it today too. He figures wrist pin. I'm wondering if mabye where the wristpin sits is rounding out or something... Doesn't matter much, just means I don't get to keep the car on the road as long before the rebuild.

shiftysupra

Nov 4, 2008
Tucson, AZ
I am having a issue. I fixed the idle issue and my tps was calibrated. however I am still having code 51 (goes and comes back) and sometimes idle goes back to 1500-2000rpm and I can hear a pulsating grinding noise coming from the cps area. To me the sound seems to be coming from the fan clutch? The noise is not heard when it idles correctly. When I accelerate the car it is sluggish and I hit fuel cut around 2500 rpm (engine light flashes while no throttle response and the occasional backfire). Blueish smoke on start up indicates valve stems seals, but I could be wrong.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
You bumped a 3 1/2 year old thread to ask something that is not even related? That is a repeat of a thread you just created?

That is BS...do not do this again. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.