Straightening warped heads and annealing

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
I didn't want to further hijack HKS_TRD's build thread ( http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68023 ) so I'll try to move the discussion here.

When your car overheats, there is a good chance the cylinder head will warp. This generally happens because of uneven temperatures across the head (such as a blown head gasket on cylinder 5 or 6). The hotter a metal gets, the easier it is to bend.

The TSRM specifies a maximum warpage of .0039" (0.1mm) across any of the 9 measurement points shown in step 6:
EM_042.gif

If you were to just machine this head and slap on a new head gasket, you would end up with something like this awesome MSpaint drawing (exaggerated for effect):

The bottom of the head is flat, and will usually seal just fine. However, more material was removed from the center of the head than the ends, so the compression would end up slightly higher in the middle cylinders than the end. That could probably be lived with, but what makes this so bad is that the cam will now be forced to bend. This creates a lot more drag on the engine, can cause significant vibration, and will eventually cause uneven wear on the cam bearings and journals. Taken to excess, this could even lead to a seized engine and/or cam breakage.

Toyota would like you to simply discard your head and buy a new one (MSRP $1550 at the time of this writing -- ~$1275 from discount dealers). You could also try and find a used head and hope it checks out ok.
But in many cases, it is possible for a good machine shop with specialized tools and training to straighten a head back into spec. This procedure generally costs $200-$300 though it also comes with the risk of annealing your head. If you don't have a lot of money tied up in existing portwork I'd recommend trying to find a good core first (I've found 7m heads from Cressidas and NA Supras are the best bet). But if you can't find a good core or you've already spent a lot of time and money with your existing head, then straightening can be a good option. I just think its important to understand the processes and risks with the various procedures:

Oven heat: This is by far the most common method, and most good machine shops have the equipment and are knowledgeable in the risks and procedure. The basic idea is to locate the warp in the head, and physically bend the head in a matter that compensates for the warp. The head is then put in an oven, and heated to 400-500 degrees F for about 2 hours. At this point, the head should be straight. The key is to have an experienced technician who can get this done the first time. The longer a head bakes, the more annealing the aluminum goes through so if this process requires the head to be in the oven for 6+ hours at 450 degrees you increase the risk of having unacceptably soft head.

Video showing the process: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlCrkytRwls&feature=player_embedded

Torch: This is a low tech procedure, but it requires a lot more skill and experience. Basically the head is mounted on shims to force it straight just like with oven-heating, but instead of having to put the entire head in an oven for 2 hours -- the technician uses a torch to heat just the right places on the head to bend it back straight. The advantage here is that any annealing will be localized to areas where having a softer material doesn't matter. The risk is that an inexperienced technician can easily ruin a head by applying too much heat to the wrong places.

Here is a very good article from an engine building magazine goes into detail on the risks of various procedures: http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Art...r_head_straight_about_head_straightening.aspx

So what is annealing, and why is it bad for a cylinder head?

There is a lot of science behind annealing, but the general idea is that at elevated temperatures, metal's crystal structure will change in a manner that brings the material into a more relaxed state. The result is a finished product that is softer, more bendable (less brittle), and has less tensile strength:

Recovery.gif

In many cases, this is desirable (less prone to cracking/snapping) but for a cylinder head, the loss in hardness/tensile strength can lead to studs pulling out of the head or, in the worst case, valve seats falling out.
Yet annealing is generally a slow process -- one that depends on time and temperature. Here is a chart that shows what happens to the tensile strength of 6061-T6 aluminum alloy after being baked at a various temperatures over time:

aluminum_annealing.gif

After 1/2 hour at 400 degrees, 6061 still has ~95% of its initial tensile strength. After 10 hours, it has ~85% of its initial tensile strength. But if we heat it to 500 degrees instead, 6061 has just 74% of its tensile strength after 1/2 hour and 48% after 10 hours. When fully annealed, 6061 only has ~ 20% of its initial strength (a process that takes >10 hours at 700 degrees).

Anyway its clear that the temperature is critical, and that as little heat/time as possible should be spent annealing -- so it really is crucial that you find a good, experienced shop.

A note about hardness/tensile strength: These properties are very closely related and I've probably used the terms interchangeably. Most shops will refer to the hardness of a head simply because a hardness test is how they will measure the tensile strength. Here's a quick link that goes into a little more detail: http://www.calce.umd.edu/general/Facilities/Hardness_ad_.htm

Going back to our processes -- your typical oven-heat method will be 400-500 degrees for less than 2 hours. As mentioned in the article, the good shops are keeping the temperature down around 425. Doing so will typically only reduce the hardness 5-7% -- an acceptable amount. The torch method will probably be more like 600 degrees for just a few seconds at specific locations. This might reduce hardness at those points by 10-15% -- but as long as the affected areas are not critical the integrity of the overall head will remain intact.

But wait -- EGTs in the manifold can reach 1300 degrees (and 1500+ degrees inside the combustion chamber) -- doesn't this anneal the head as well? Yes, it does. If you've ever ported a head before, you may have noticed how much easier the exhaust ports are to work with initially. This is because the surface has been pretty well annealed, but its effect decreases as you move further into the metal. Still, the exhaust side of heads is generally softer (why it is common for exhaust studs to pull out on 7m's).

But as many people have shown, after helicoiling the exhaust stud holes (or using timeserts - -for Howard ;) ) their head is perfectly fine and ready to last another 150,000+ miles. Remember that exhaust ports don't need to have all of their original hardness/strength to properly function. Still, you can help prevent this effect by thermal coating the combustion chamber and exhaust ports, insulating the aluminum from the heat to prevent further annealing (swaintech is one of many companies that will do this: http://www.swaintech.com/store.asp?pid=10322 )

GC89;1341245 said:
The problem is once aluminum gets hot enough to warp it anneals, so heating it again is just ensuring its compromised. It may be straight but its soft and not worth using.

Annealing isn't something that is accomplished instantly -- its not an on/off switch. An overheating head might warp in less than a few minutes -- certainly not enough time to appreciably anneal the whole head. But you're right that any of the straightening procedures will further anneal the head -- the question is just how much hardness/strength is lost and whether that loss is acceptable. 10% or less, and I'm perfectly happy running the head again.

Poodles;1340990 said:
Shop did that to my head... had to use the larger upgrade size helicoils for the exhaust and it ended up stripping spark plug threads...

Something tells me they fucked up...

Sounds like they either used too much temperature (or way too much time), your head was badly warped, and/or the previous owner was a numbnut who overtorqued everything. In any case, I probably wouldn't feel comfortable using your head and would start looking for a core. If it was just the exhaust studs I'd happily run it. But if it was as widespread as it seems, I just think the chances of dropping a valve seat are unacceptable imo.

Last edited:

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
GREAT information.

I'd love to know what aluminum does when cryogenically treated.

As for warping on the top - you could have the cam saddles align bored, and the cam cover surface done, as well, if that were the ONLY possible option.

BTW - Timeserts > Helicoils ;)

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Although I don't hold a lot of faith in cryogenics (I should point out that I don't have the most experience with the process) it will generally reduce or eliminate alot of the residual stresses within the metal. With that said, most of these residual stresses arise from the casting process itself, and annealing of the aluminum also serves to reduce these stresses. I would imagine that cryo treating the head would make it more resistant to warpage. As for strengthening, I wouldn't count on it.

Velocityfreak

May 28, 2009
New Hampshire
great info, there are alot of supra owners out there who think that if the head is warped they can just have the head machined. but they always forget that the top of the head is still bent, and will put a great force on the cams.

Ive seen quite a few broken camshafts in my day due to this exact reason.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
Super great thread, made me totally rethink my next build project, if it ever comes up that is. If all stays well with my current engine, and I get a good paying job in the f-ed up state of Mass., I'm going 2jz. Already, since reading this thread, I'm planning on having the head heated and straightened, before anything else is done.

gotsomegetsome

Age Quod Agis
Mar 31, 2008
san jose
adampecush;1341572 said:
Although I don't hold a lot of faith in cryogenics (I should point out that I don't have the most experience with the process) it will generally reduce or eliminate alot of the residual stresses within the metal. With that said, most of these residual stresses arise from the casting process itself, and annealing of the aluminum also serves to reduce these stresses. I would imagine that cryo treating the head would make it more resistant to warpage. As for strengthening, I wouldn't count on it.

"Residual stress" is a very vague and improper term for characterization of metals. Any "residual stress" that is created within the metal, whether it is after the head has been warped from heat or bent some other way, will certainly not go away with cryogenic treatment. One side of the head may have a different stress/strain value, thus creating an imbalance in forces acting on one side of the head compared to the other.

Annealing will reduce the warping of the head because of the deletion of what are called dislocations which are the main culprit of allowing the deformation of materials under stresses. When you have more and more grain boundaries (shown in the graph posted by OP) these dislocations run into the grain boundaries which essentially stop the dislocations in their tracks. This is why annealing makes metals softer; the larger the grain, the more space a dislocation has to move.

When we look at cryo treating any metal, those grains may break into smaller pieces, just as work hardening will do. However, work hardening is only able to be administered through the surface unlike cryo treating. It takes a much greater decrease in temperature to effectively cryo treat a material to a certain grain size than to anneal the same material and produce the same ratio of change in grain size to original grain size seen in a cryo treatment. Is it really worth it to cryo treat your head or whatever you have? Probably not because of the risks and money you will be wasting.

Consider the equation dV/V = alpha * dT
dV : change in volume
V: initial Volume
alpha : thermal expansion coefficient
dT: change in temperature

You can see that the change in volume is directly proportional to the change in temperature. This means if you cool a metal down enough, it will crack. For most metals used for its strength, this breaking point comes relatively quickly from room temperature. I personally would not let someone play with my head :biglaugh: with liquid nitrogen (methods are different) at the expense of a hairline fracture. Metals get extreeeeemely brittle with lower temps, in fact you could probably break a carbon steel rod in half with your bare hands if you dipped it in liquid nitrogen.

Going back to the "residual stress" part of the topic. Cryo treating a head that has been warped has to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard. If you consider what I have said, the residual stress + increased brittleness of metals at lower temps + slight increase of grains per area, you will most certainly get yourself into much trouble. The worst possible scenario I can think of would be this: head warps maybe a tenth or two of a millimeter, you want to fix it. you have TWO options (or so you think). anneal then cryo, or just anneal/cryo. ok fine three options:

so you anneal the head, reform grains, then get the head back to within +/-5% of 0mm (where the head is supposed to be give or take .05mm). then cryo treat the head, reducing grains sizes perhaps by only 1/25 or so without creating any hairline fractures. You just spend thousands of dollars.

or you just anneal the head. your head is slightly weaker. higher ductility, larger grain size, higher mobility for dislocations, basically at the expense of the structural integrity of your head (which can be a good thing is some circumstances relative to shock) and your wallet

or you just cryo the head. you now have a smaller wallet, a stronger, less ductile material for the head, smaller grain size, smaller mobility for dislocations, potential fractures, and this is all assuming that the head was properly cooled during cryo treating because heaven forbid, if you just so happen to slightly unbalance the cooling process, you WILL have a stress fracture due to the equation I posted above.

So, basically yeah fine annealing is cool. works for the most part. In some cases you will be better off getting a used head. But cryo, drop it and leave it, its a lost cause in my opinion and as I have thoroughly explained. There is not one viable reason for you to cryo treat your head unless you have wads and wads of cash to waste. and a couple extra heads

hope this was very helpful.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
I use the term residual stress loosely, as 99% of the people on here have no idea what it means. Any articles I've read about cryo indicates that the process causes a "molecular realignment" (which I think is BS, but whatever) which eliminates casting-related stresses. If this was true, cryo treatment would likely increase the dimensional stability (and resistance to warpage) of a new/straight head prior to install. As far as a warped head is concerned, cryo isn't going to do shit. I'm not sure where it was implied that we were talking about cryo treating a warped head.

When we look at cryo treating any metal, those grains may break into smaller pieces, just as work hardening will do. However, work hardening is only able to be administered through the surface unlike cryo treating. It takes a much greater decrease in temperature to effectively cryo treat a material to a certain grain size than to anneal the same material and produce the same ratio of change in grain size to original grain size seen in a cryo treatment. Is it really worth it to cryo treat your head or whatever you have? Probably not because of the risks and money you will be wasting.
Care to explain to me how cryo treatment reduces grain size? Cryo has nothing to do with grain size modification, and comparing cryo to annealing (which increases GS) is like comparing apples to oranges.

You can see that the change in volume is directly proportional to the change in temperature. This means if you cool a metal down enough, it will crack. For most metals used for its strength, this breaking point comes relatively quickly from room temperature. I personally would not let someone play with my head with liquid nitrogen (methods are different) at the expense of a hairline fracture. Metals get extreeeeemely brittle with lower temps, in fact you could probably break a carbon steel rod in half with your bare hands if you dipped it in liquid nitrogen.

Thanks for the expansion/contraction lesson. Unless extremely wacky geometries are present, the chance of cryo cooling of a material and cracking it is extremely low. I think you are speaking about the ductile to brittle transition temperature here, but you probably fail to realize that it only applies to body centred cubic materials. Most casting grades of aluminum fail in a brittle manner at room temperature anyway, so the cooling point is moot. One could argue that cooling the head down from operating temperature could induce the same strains as cryo (as the temperature change is similar), but heads rarely crack from normal operation.

Personally, I wouldn't even waste my time annealing a damaged head due to the associated loss in strength. Although it would be easy to determine the head chemistry and an appropriate restorative heat treatment, it would probably be easier and cheaper for most just to buy a new head (I also wouldn't expect much dimensional stability through a heat treatment process).

gotsomegetsome

Age Quod Agis
Mar 31, 2008
san jose
if the term residual stress is near unknown to most on these forums then why use it at all?

"Care to explain to me how cryo treatment reduces grain size? Cryo has nothing to do with grain size modification, and comparing cryo to annealing (which increases GS) is like comparing apples to oranges."

Cryo treatment, or simply any considerable amount of cooling depending on the material can reduce grain size due to physical reductions in size. So how does this not relate to annealing, which, yes, increases grain size. We are discussing grain size so therefore it must be relevant.

"Thanks for the expansion/contraction lesson. Unless extremely wacky geometries are present, the chance of cryo cooling of a material and cracking it is extremely low. I think you are speaking about the ductile to brittle transition temperature here, but you probably fail to realize that it only applies to body centred cubic materials. Most casting grades of aluminum fail in a brittle manner at room temperature anyway, so the cooling point is moot. One could argue that cooling the head down from operating temperature could induce the same strains as cryo (as the temperature change is similar), but heads rarely crack from normal operation."

Pardon me for my attempt to share some knowledge with the forum. I didn't know someone would be so offended by another person whom you do not know whatsoever. If you cool aluminum past ~140k then you may begin to see small microfractures in the metal, which obviously reduce the integrity of the metal. As with steel or cast iron, I do not know these values, but I am sure that they are not too far. BCC crystal structures are most certainly not the only ones that may experience transitions from more brittle to more ductile. Whatever source you got that from, probably wikipedia, was wrong. With that statement you are saying all metals must be BCC and therefore cannot be any other crystal structure. FALSE. Get your facts right. Dont get them off wikipedia or wherever else you got them.

"Personally, I wouldn't even waste my time annealing a damaged head due to the associated loss in strength. Although it would be easy to determine the head chemistry and an appropriate restorative heat treatment, it would probably be easier and cheaper for most just to buy a new head (I also wouldn't expect much dimensional stability through a heat treatment process)."

Explain "associated loss in strength" if the head is originally manufactured from molten metal. However, I do agree with the last statement. I would get a different head, perhaps not a new one, but a different head nonetheless. I would not waste my money on fixing a warped head.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
gotsomegetsome;1345839 said:
I would not waste my money on fixing a warped head. .

good then that means more for us....btw...no used 7m head will ever be straight after it goes threw several heat cycles...so you have fun buying your heads from toyota...we will continue to buy used heads that work just fine!

hell you bolt a new head down wait a week and take it back off the block and ill bet its warped a few thou! its unavoidable with such a long chunk of cast aluminum.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Cryo treatment, or simply any considerable amount of cooling depending on the material can reduce grain size due to physical reductions in size. So how does this not relate to annealing, which, yes, increases grain size. We are discussing grain size so therefore it must be relevant.

By "phisical" grain size, are you meaning just due to the thermal contraction of the material? If so, the grain size is not changing. Otherwise, by what mechanism are the grains shrinking? (this is a genuine question). I said comparing cryo to annealing is like comparing apples to oranges as reduction and increase of grain size have completely opposite effects on material strength.

If you cool aluminum past ~140k then you may begin to see small microfractures in the metal, which obviously reduce the integrity of the metal.

Care to back this up with a source?

BCC crystal structures are most certainly not the only ones that may experience transitions from more brittle to more ductile. Whatever source you got that from, probably wikipedia, was wrong. With that statement you are saying all metals must be BCC and therefore cannot be any other crystal structure. FALSE. Get your facts right. Dont get them off wikipedia or wherever else you got them.

I'm sorry, I left out HCP from my statement, as aside from titanium, there aren't many HCP materials used in structural applications .Where did I say that all metals must be BCC? With that said, BCC and HCP are the ONLY crystal structures subject to a ductile to brittle transition with decreasing temperature (that is a "straight" fact). With all that BS aside, realize that the mechanical properties (yield, tensile, and elongation) of most aluminum alloys increase with decreased material temperature, and toughness is generally temperature independant; thus NOT leading to increased "brittleness" with decreasing temperature. This is completely opposite from steel, which was the example you used.

Explain "associated loss in strength" if the head is originally manufactured from molten metal. However, I do agree with the last statement. I would get a different head, perhaps not a new one, but a different head nonetheless. I would not waste my money on fixing a warped head.

Annealing a head increases the cast grain size, and leads to a coarsening of the precipitates, resulting in a loss of material strength (which can manifest itself in stripped threads for example). When a head is cast, a smaller (compared to an annealed head) grain size is formed, with dispersed precipitates. As a smaller grain size and precipitate dispersion give aluminum its strength, annealing results in a loss of strength.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
As already mentioned, the simple cure for a warp head if it passes a hardness test is to just aline bore the cam journals after milling the gasket surface. We do it all the time.

gotsomegetsome

Age Quod Agis
Mar 31, 2008
san jose
gaboonviper85;1345842 said:
good then that means more for us....btw...no used 7m head will ever be straight after it goes threw several heat cycles...so you have fun buying your heads from toyota...we will continue to buy used heads that work just fine!

hell you bolt a new head down wait a week and take it back off the block and ill bet its warped a few thou! its unavoidable with such a long chunk of cast aluminum.

read my last statement....:3d_frown:

gotsomegetsome

Age Quod Agis
Mar 31, 2008
san jose
"Care to back this up with a source?"

askeland. donald, phule, pradeep. "The Science and Engineering of Materials" 2006: Thompson. New York

"I'm sorry, I left out HCP from my statement, as aside from titanium, there aren't many HCP materials used in structural applications .Where did I say that all metals must be BCC? With that said, BCC and HCP are the ONLY crystal structures subject to a ductile to brittle transition with decreasing temperature (that is a "straight" fact). With all that BS aside, realize that the mechanical properties (yield, tensile, and elongation) of most aluminum alloys increase with decreased material temperature, and toughness is generally temperature independant; thus NOT leading to increased "brittleness" with decreasing temperature. This is completely opposite from steel, which was the example you used."

how is that apples and oranges? if were dealing with grain size we are dealing with grain size. any micro size amount we are dealing with is something worth noting if we are talking able billions of grains

"Annealing a head increases the cast [[why cast that has nothing to do with what we are talking about; cast grains are different, yes, but general grain size is the topic]] grain size, and leads to a coarsening of the precipitates [[no precipitates here]], resulting in a loss of material strength (which can manifest itself in stripped threads for example) [[ok this is a completely random statement. aluminum is known for allowing stripped threads like 7m's heads]]. When a head is cast, a smaller (compared to an annealed head) grain size is formed, with dispersed precipitates. As a smaller grain size and precipitate dispersion give aluminum its strength, annealing results in a loss of strength. <- [we have gone over this a million times now]"

casting anything out of metal creates a certain arrangement very specific to casting processes. As the material cools, nuclei are formed at the edges where cooling begins, creating the initial crystals that can be seen in the material. Eventually, as cooling continues, you will begin to see a specific grain arrangement at the very edge, then lines of grains stemming to the center of the cast material, eventually leading to yet another specific center, with grain sizes smaller than elsewhere in the cast. So this is not the "smaller" grain size that you are talking about. casting does not inherently create smaller grain size, and by no means does it create coherent grain sizes.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
gotsomegetsome;1346790 said:
askeland. donald, phule, pradeep. "The Science and Engineering of Materials" 2006: Thompson. New York

fine (I don't have the book, so I'll have to take your word on it), if microfissures cause such a reduction in integrity, why is aluminum used so widely at cryogenic temperatures (and why do its mechanical properties improve at these low temperatures)?

[[no precipitates here]]

excuse me? you haven't looked at a lot of cast Al microstructures, have you.

[[ok this is a completely random statement. aluminum is known for allowing stripped threads like 7m's heads]]

Never stripped an exhaust stud after the prolonged overheating of a head? This is not a random occurrence.

casting anything out of metal creates a certain arrangement very specific to casting processes. As the material cools, nuclei are formed at the edges where cooling begins, creating the initial crystals that can be seen in the material. Eventually, as cooling continues, you will begin to see a specific grain arrangement at the very edge, then lines of grains stemming to the center of the cast material, eventually leading to yet another specific center, with grain sizes smaller than elsewhere in the cast. So this is not the "smaller" grain size that you are talking about. casting does not inherently create smaller grain size, and by no means does it create coherent grain sizes.

Apologies for speaking in generalizations, but I'm not going to explain how a cast structure is formed to get my point across.

I'm finished with this arguement as we're going off on a tangent from the original post.

Last edited:

aus87nat

May 20, 2008
Wollongong
not big on material science, but is there a way to bring the temp down after heating in order to get some hardness back? Controlled quenching?

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
The cooling rate will have little effect as the associated temperatures associated with straightening or annealing do not cause a phase change in the metal.

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
Interesting thread

For what its worth, I spoke to the guy with my head again recently. The spare head which was fine, had more wear on the front bearing journals. He mentioned this when he first got it. It wasnt till he took a closer look (I suspect after he machined the bucket area so the cams could actually fit) that he decided he was not happy with it. He said it would be fine for a standard engine maybe but he would prefer it not go on my motor

He ended up going back to my original head and straightening it. He said he go the journals lining up spot on. Apparently he spent a week doing it incrementally rather than all in one go. Also that he checked the hardness afterwards and it was unaffected, and that was down to not trying to do it in one go and having to heat it alot

There is so much conflicting information here I'm not sure what to think now. I told the guy if need be I would bite down and get a new head but he said no need for that. He is really fussy and has built heads for some more serious motors than mine.

I'm going to try and catch him tomorrow to try and see where he is at but he left it at he had the head straight and so now he could go on to porting and putting the larger valves in.

Apparently the deck was not that much lower than the other virgin head, and as he is going to be doing some work on the combustion chambers that is not necessarily a bad thing.