Stock wheel tire options

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
My current tires are crap. They spin once on boost in 1st and 2nd. Given the 225 max size that will fit, are there any good options for holding 350-400 rwhp down the road? Currently sitting at 300-320 flywheel by butt dyno and estimating 13psi on an HX35.

Or am I just screwed until I get a wider wheel? I need new tires either way, but don't want to spend $600-800 on a set if they'll be no more effective than a $400 set.

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
emiliorescigno;2070781 said:
What tires do you have right now? There are plenty of tires that likely mean a dramatic improvement in grip. How deep of tradeoffs are you willing to put up with?

I'm sure these will stick, but I'm not sure you'd want to drive on the street with them:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...=25R6DDR&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I drive the car 20-30 miles a week only in good weather on the street, so I'm not necessarily opposed to having something super grippy on the rear and something normal on the front.

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
Forgot to add I currently have a mishmash of used tires just to get the car inspectable.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
The example I gave is one of the most extreme, but I think you'd be pleased with how much improvement you'd get from purchasing a set of "Extreme Performance Summer" tires.

A set of Hankook RS3s or BFG Rivals would be a huge improvement, with a bit more of a focus on straight line grip vs. just handling prowess in that category. I know other companies (such as Nitto) make more straight-line centric tires, but I don't know as much about those.

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
emiliorescigno;2070787 said:
The example I gave is one of the most extreme, but I think you'd be pleased with how much improvement you'd get from purchasing a set of "Extreme Performance Summer" tires.

A set of Hankook RS3s or BFG Rivals would be a huge improvement, with a bit more of a focus on straight line grip vs. just handling prowess in that category. I know other companies (such as Nitto) make more straight-line centric tires, but I don't know as much about those.

Thanks. Tire Rack has the RS3s on sale for $100 a tire. That's definitely an appealing price.