Stock turbo elbow wont come off??

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
So I just got a divorced down pipe. While trying to take the stock down pipe off I ran into a problem. I got all 4 nuts off the elbow that connect it to the turbo. Then I went to pull the elbow off and it would not budge. Tried hitting around it with a rubber mallet, then mallet and screw driver. Then tried some wiggling with a pry bar. I couldn't get that thing to back off the turbo at all. Any ideas what I should do?

onemancrew

Feb 7, 2012
Sydney
? :icon_surp I've fortunately never had this problem.. lol

I would get a bigger hammer and a block of wood!!! somethings gotta give!!

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
You have the downpipe unbolted right? Drop the exhaust and it should come right off. If you already have the DP off i'd find a way to apply more force. Use a large flathead and a hammer. Keep in mind you'll probably need a new gasket afterward.

Jebadoo

Feb 26, 2012
Altoona, pa
I had my turbo off, but it took a lot of hammering with a ball peen hammer the entire way around it to get it off of there. No need to be gentle really. Give it hell

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Please, for the love of whatever you believe in, do NOT damage the mating surface to the back of the turbo. The metal gasket as more than likely molded/stuck/welded itself unto both of the surfaces. Mine was VERY difficult to get off even with the turbo on a bench. The studs are probably helping it be even more stuck, so this might take some time but you're going to just have to focus on moving from corner to corner, making sure not to get the elbow into anymore of a bind than it already is.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The issue is that rust fills the gap between the holes in the elbow and the studs. Took a LOT of beating with a BFH to get mine loose. I also had the turbo off the car though.

jdemara

Apr 28, 2008
North Delta
When I did mine, I had to take the exhaust off from the stock downpipe back. The flex portion of it was so stiff it wasnt allowing the elbow to back off the studs. And yes, hitting it with a hammer in different spots worked for me.

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
Haha i just didn't know if anyone had this much of a problem getting the stock elbow off before. My last supra it came right off. It was me and 4 other guys taking turns beating around it with a hammer and then also used a big flat head. We sprayed it with penetrating oil as well. But it would not move at all. Beating on it really hard isn't going to hurt the internals of the turbo is it? And the turbo is still on the car, I had no intentions of pulling it off :S

Jebadoo

Feb 26, 2012
Altoona, pa
I just removed another one tonight. After being gentle with it, I just went nuts. The first one on the spare turbo I had was the same. Almost like it was welded on. I just keep hammering around it on flat areas away from the studs and sometimes driving a screwdriver in to pry apart, well aimed of course so I don't drive it deep into the internals. But mine are getting rebuilt anyhow so I went a little crazier than others.....This probably isn't the suggested way to remove these things haha

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
mine i had to stick a jack handle in the downpipe side and pry it back and forth... of course i had to remove the downpipe to do that. my 87 parts car had bolts instead of studs... came right off

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Well, if you're replacing the downpipe, pull it off of the elbow first. Remove it from the car, and it's out of the way.

It's in an awkward place to hit with force. I'd be worried about damaging the threads holding on the manifold studs before damaging the cast iron turbo housing, myself. Those threads aren't in the best condition often. Some restraint while the thing is in the engine bay is called for.

The turbo to manifold gasket is what, $5. Probably more of a pain to replace the oil supply/drain gasket, really. I didn't think that it was that big a deal to remove the turbo, so I'd be far more tempted to do exactly that. Put it on a bench, where you can work at it properly.

And sarcasm? Here? Does that actually happen? :D

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Air chisel works well too ;)

And you actually should be aiming around the studs, that's where the rust is holding it together...

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
Alright guys, good news. Finally got the stock elbow off. We went a little harder at it this time. Took a metal chisel, put it in between elbow and turbo and hit it with a sledge hammer working around it slowly. It finally popped off! So now I have a new divorced down pipe on the car, and I'm running it open for the time being. Have to say I really missed that sound haha! I have a gap that needs filled to reconnect the exhaust, so I'm thinking electronic cut out instead of a test pipe. Also, turbo spools soo much faster now, and have to turn the boost controller WAY down!