stock TEMS suspension vs eibach springs

Ok, I am putting everything from my car into a new shell and now I have to make a little decision and was wondering what Supramania thought about it =)

The main deciding factors are convenience vs handling I think. There aren't any places that I can't go with the eibachs, I just have to go really really slow at an angle for my driveway and be careful at speed bumps. I don't know the handling difference between the two but it would be really nice to have it handle like it used to.

The new shell has stock TEMs suspension with 170k miles on it that seems ok. It passes the push down on the car and see if it bounces test at least. I've never had a TEMs car but always wanted my car to be a little higher since I live in an area with tons of speed bumps and have a steep driveway.

The old shell had eibach springs and what look like very good shocks. I can't tell if the shocks are aftermarket (probably stock, but look new) but the car did handle a lot better than I ever expected a 3600 lb 80's GT car to handle. It was low though, and annoying to go places but not unmanagable.

Is there a major difference between handling with stock TEMs vs. eibach springs w/good stock shocks?

I'm actually kind of concerned about the whole automatic stiffening thing. For some reason I picture it malfunctioning or kicking in at a bad time =\ I guess I'll figure it out when I drive it, I'm not going to change the springs over right away if I choose to. Has anyone drove on eibachs/lowering springs and stock suspension who can compare the two?

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
rtrdpenguin;1001231 said:
I'm actually kind of concerned about the whole automatic stiffening thing. For some reason I picture it malfunctioning or kicking in at a bad time =\ I guess I'll figure it out when I drive it, I'm not going to change the springs over right away if I choose to. Has anyone drove on eibachs/lowering springs and stock suspension who can compare the two?

I had two 87 NAs, both with stock TEMS. I had both at the same time. On one car the shocks were wore out, so the button didn't make any difference, I just floated along. On the other car it worked, and it handled the curves much much better.

Sold both of those cars.

Next, my 91T had aftermarket shocks, no TEMS and it did not handle the curves as well as the 87 with working TEMS. It was a nice soft ride though. I don't know what brand/type were on it.

Now, my 90T has eibach springs and tokico adjustable shocks. None of my other cars were lowered, so this is a whole new experience. The steering is very "heavy". I don't know how else to describe it. There is absolutely no play in the steering wheel. I feel EVERY bump and crack in the road, it has a very stiff suspension. I just put new Kuhmo tires on, and that softened things a bit (stock size). I have messed around with both TEMS modes, but I have a difficult time telling the difference. Does this car handle better than the 87 with TEMS? I'm not sure - I have to hold on so tight to the wheel when cornering that it feels like I'm about to lose traction when perhaps I'm not. My speedometer is WAY off, but now I know by how much, so I am going to do some more testing on a particular curve near the house. I know my altima can do it at 45 mph, so I assume this supra can exceed it.

I hope to actually get to drive some other supras so I can compare. I think thats the best answer. But tires do play a very important role. Those shorter sidewalls will improve handling, but the ride will be very rough. I'm sticking with 16" z-rated wheels for now..

BTW, I don't believe the speedometer issue is related to the suspension mod, but as of now, its a mystery since I run stock tires and stock rear dif.

ZoomZoomZoom;1001369 said:
I had two 87 NAs, both with stock TEMS. I had both at the same time. On one car the shocks were wore out, so the button didn't make any difference, I just floated along. On the other car it worked, and it handled the curves much much better.

Sold both of those cars.

Next, my 91T had aftermarket shocks, no TEMS and it did not handle the curves as well as the 87 with working TEMS. It was a nice soft ride though. I don't know what brand/type were on it.

Now, my 90T has eibach springs and tokico adjustable shocks. None of my other cars were lowered, so this is a whole new experience. The steering is very "heavy". I don't know how else to describe it. There is absolutely no play in the steering wheel. I feel EVERY bump and crack in the road, it has a very stiff suspension. I just put new Kuhmo tires on, and that softened things a bit (stock size). I have messed around with both TEMS modes, but I have a difficult time telling the difference. Does this car handle better than the 87 with TEMS? I'm not sure - I have to hold on so tight to the wheel when cornering that it feels like I'm about to lose traction when perhaps I'm not. My speedometer is WAY off, but now I know by how much, so I am going to do some more testing on a particular curve near the house. I know my altima can do it at 45 mph, so I assume this supra can exceed it.

I hope to actually get to drive some other supras so I can compare. I think thats the best answer. But tires do play a very important role. Those shorter sidewalls will improve handling, but the ride will be very rough. I'm sticking with 16" z-rated wheels for now..

BTW, I don't believe the speedometer issue is related to the suspension mod, but as of now, its a mystery since I run stock tires and stock rear dif.

The heavy steering is EXACTLY what eibach springs felt like to me. This was my first Supra so I just thought it was normal. In some ways I liked it, being able to feel every bump in the road and having sensitive steering has its good points, but overall I felt like the car was "difficult to drive." Thanks for all the info, it's exactly what I've been looking for. It's the best I can get without going around driving tons of Supras =)

I think I'm going to stick with the stock suspension on this car. If it doesn't handle well enough for me I might look into something else, most likely shocks not springs since I don't really like the whole lowering thing. I just hope the steering isn't going to be like Corollas and other non-performance vehicles I've driven on stock suspension. A nice balance between the eibach springs and "normal" steering would be ideal.

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
rtrdpenguin;1005234 said:
The heavy steering is EXACTLY what eibach springs felt like to me. This was my first Supra so I just thought it was normal. In some ways I liked it, being able to feel every bump in the road and having sensitive steering has its good points, but overall I felt like the car was "difficult to drive." Thanks for all the info, it's exactly what I've been looking for. It's the best I can get without going around driving tons of Supras =)

I think I'm going to stick with the stock suspension on this car. If it doesn't handle well enough for me I might look into something else, most likely shocks not springs since I don't really like the whole lowering thing. I just hope the steering isn't going to be like Corollas and other non-performance vehicles I've driven on stock suspension. A nice balance between the eibach springs and "normal" steering would be ideal.

Oh, I still plan to go around and drive as many Supras as I can to compare. I'm hoping a certain SM member will let me drive HIS cars one day <hint hint>. And I may change my suspension as a result. I like the look of a lowered car. There may be other upgrades/adjustments that should have been done when the car was lowered. I need to do more research.

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
Here is my setup: TEMS FTW

HKS tems suspension controller
Good condition stock struts
Aerospeed springs

(thats the real basics)

The car isnt too low, which i love. It feels light and very nimble. Stiff, yet no bouncy at ALL. I can easy climb over speed bumps, and this is exactly how Toyota should have designed the vehicle from the factory. It handles GREAT.

I love this setup!

Here a picture to show stance:

Ok, I've driven around on my stock TEMS for a while now and it seems that my shocks are worn out. My suspension isn't anything like what your descriptions of good working TEMS should be like; I bounce like crazy every time I hit anything on the road. It's not really continuous bouncing, but there's a lot more up and down motion than I expected. And the body roll is much worse than my 94 corolla with 180k on the clock (my Supra should have about 180k too)

When I push down on my shocks and let go, the car comes right back up at a medium speed. Shouldn't this mean my shocks are ok?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
They shouldn't bounce as they're dampeners.

Hit a good bump and it should control the natural bounce of the spring, if not then they're shot.

Hell, I have stock springs with KYB shocks and I can barely get the car to move at all by sitting on it...

rs4rush

Jan 25, 2007
Kirkland, Wa
I just did the swap... I had working 91 TEMS and I upgraded to tokico illuminas, and Eibach spring and it was a big differance! I would say go for it!

Woody1989

Apr 17, 2008
Texas
NewWestSupras;1005446 said:
I have Tokico Illumina II's, (tems compatible) Blue Eibachs, and Whiteline swaybars. It seems to handle and ride nicely now.

I have the stock springs and struts/shocks with TEMS, aftermarket swaybar and HKS TEMS controller on my 1989 7MGTE. The car just now has 60k miles, so everything is still pretty tight and responsive. I'm considering the Illumina II's, but haven't decided on springs yet.

I don't think lowering the car more than an inch will look right with 18" wheels and I'd rather not scrape every drive entry & speed hump either. What springs are available that lower the car about 3/4" to 1" all the way around?

Do you have a couple pictures of your car's stance?

Thanks,

Brad

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
i have own 2 89 turbos.

the first one had stock tems suspension in excellent shape. i thought it was cool.

then my new car has tokico illumina II's with eibachs. with out tems working.

all i can say is the way my car is it handles way better than the tems did even when it was maxed out. and it never seem to kick in at the right time. it would be after i would exit a corner then it would finally kick in. i would like to have the tems working with my set up know. i bet it would handle better yet. but i think that has to do with the tokico failing running them on tems firm all the time.