Stock Strut Problem

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
About a week ago, I was working on the supe, and put some of my weight on the front nose, the car went down a little, and as this happened, I heard a kind of scraping/rubbing noise come from the driver's side shock... Then earlier tonight, i tried it again, and now there isn't any noise really, but when you try to bounce it, it will go down, then come back to normal height slowly and stay there.. I'm guessing the strut is bad? Is it safe to drive like this?

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
well, I thought that they were supposed to bouce 2-3 times, and then stop, but this one on the driver's side doesn't bounce at all, it just goes down, then comes back up really slowly, no bouncing, and I almost forgot, when i brake, you can hear like a click or pop come from that same wheel... hmm

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
well, I thought that they were supposed to bouce 2-3 times,
Our car has coil over shocks, not struts. A strut replaces the upper ball joint, and only has the lower control arm. We have an upper and lower A-arm know as SLA, or short and long arm suspension. Toyota borowed a term from Honda and calls it double wishbones.

Anyway, the job of the shock, or strut is to dampen spring oscillation. If it bounces as you described, 2 or 3 times, there is a good chance the nitrogen gas has leaked out and the fluid is foamed up inside, allowing the rod to move up and down too quickly.

jdmk3_87t

Take it!
Apr 29, 2005
SoCaL
I have blown shocks too brodah...I feel your pain...What sucks about mine is that their tokico illuminas...:nono: