stock rods

webbs7mgte

Jun 2, 2008
wisconsin
dont know if this should go here or the internals section move if needed but what are stock gte rods threshold would it be any use for anyone and should i even bother polishing them up?

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
I remember the first time I saw someone post pics of polished connecting rods. I was like, "WTF is the point -- they're INSIDE the motor where they're not seen!" Then I had some knowledge dropped on me...LOL! I'm still toying with the idea of having my conn. rods polished before I reassemble the block...but that'd mean more money, more downtime, and more headache....HA! I'll just wait and do it on the big-daddy build down the road.

**Edit** Or go with some aftermarket rods...haven't decided...lol.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Dunno you'd have to ring around to find out.

Back in the day I built a rig to do mine so the would all come out pretty much the same as this makes the final balance much easier.
(picture a linishing belt that runs on it's side)

You do however need someone that knows how to shotpeen them correctly to get a good result and a stronger part.

webbs7mgte

Jun 2, 2008
wisconsin
ok how much can they handle after beeing shoot penned? wouldnt that make their threshold less as their is less material or does it not matter as i was told with boring blocks its not the best but it does pull more power cus theres less meat between the cylinders does this come in the same area or does it not matter? do you still have you jig that you did yours with and would you be intrested in doing another set?j/k but thanks for the help so far

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
The idea behind Grinding/Polishing/Shot Peening is it removes any surface defects (think dotted lines in toilet paper) then the peening increases surface hardness (before the propeller heads jump up and down YES this is simplification of the process) :icon_razz

All of this just gives the rod a better chance of living, as for how much power can they hold, who knows it's usually NOT a mechanical breakage that kills these motors but more a tuning issue.

Ask X-Man/Sean what was done to his 700+rwhp 7M and I bet you're surprised.

I went with the Pauter rods as when I first built this motor I was consistantly spinning it to 8300+ for quite long pulls and wanted the extra insurance they provide.

webbs7mgte

Jun 2, 2008
wisconsin
ok thank you for claryifying(sp?) it im taking a automotive class at a local tech school and i have access to almost anything i need most of it is basics which im not to happy about like measuring journals and lobs of cams and measirung cam bearings and all that jazz but i asked my teacher about shot peening the rods i have and he said we could if i wanted to spend the time on it needless to say my class is a bunch of kids who watched fast and the furious and think its a overnite thing to get a fast car my teacher makes them feel dumb and most rnt returnin day after day were having kids drop like flies so thanks for the info i basically have a whole shop to myself lol all i need to do is find a cheap 2jzgte block and 1jzgte or 2j head and get to work not that i can do the work and have mad discounts on tools and ij u dont happen to do a few custom pieces at your lil secret cnc mill at home do u lol hehe :naughty:

webbs7mgte

Jun 2, 2008
wisconsin
its alright ya hes cool hes all down for the motor work and getting dirty hes aobut 6'3 150 lbs tall guy who u woudlnt expect to be downt o motor work he pulls off that pull perfect nerd look but knows more than most people lol its hilarious hes offered me access to his shop/class anytime and told me anytime i want to order tools i can get them through his discount through a mag order...im going to begin to start powder coating and he showed me to the best website ever EASTWOOD but its cool not many people are intrested in my idea and thats a cnc milled 2J valve covers or spark plug cover set up with the supra badge etched onto the top lol so IJ if u ever aquire time and decide to CNC somethign do that for me and run it on ur car and take lots of pics :naughty: