Stock IC pipe - too restrictive? Absolutely!

Celica Supra

Banned
Mar 31, 2005
Saint Paul, Minnesota
supra_ozzie said:
Thanks Home Depot! Is it anything like this? hee hee I'll have to give Brian Morris the credit for this one.

p3789_1.jpg

p3789_2.jpg

That really nice! :)

Dziuggy

eurotrash
Mar 31, 2005
san francisco, ca
dziuggy.com
also to add to this home depot has lower IC pipes as well it runs for $6 i believe and eliminates cast pipe from the turbo to IC, very easy mod as well, all you need is a saw (metal) to trim it and then you can re-use stock ruber parts, cant beat it for $6

X

Xrated

What a great idea! Now why didn't i think of that...
Damn...I think you might have seen that somewhere before?
Let's think back....oh yah it might have been at Brian's Shop...
on his car and Pat's too. :D

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Dziuggy: Yes, I already have the lower pipe - did that one quite some time ago, used the HowTo from the socal site. Which is linked to in our FAQ, IIRC.

Xrated: Well, kindof. I had the idea to do this quite some time ago, but I was going to pickup some silicone 90 degree bends and use all straight pipe. I've wanted to get rid of the stock plastic fenderwall peice for some time - ever since I replaced the lower aluminum elbow, actually. Brian's workshop built on this in two ways - cutting up the stock hoses to use as couplers, and using the 90 degree bends to smooth the air path.

Total cost to me was under $40 CDN, including clamps and taxes. But I got to cheat a little, I had some leftover stock clamps.

This is a great mod for the price, and it'll keep me happy until I can afford to get a complete intake system - hardpipes, bov, side to side IC, and forward facing intake. That'll be a while yet. :)

supra_ozzie

86.5 HC NA/T
Apr 4, 2005
Burnaby
I used a straight piece of 2" to 2 1/4")( 2" adaptor) exhaust pipe (about a pound) the curve is 2" electrical conduit and is maybe 3-4 lbs.

Last edited:

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
I ordered a crx si 2.5" intake off ebay. It cost me like 60$us total. It goes right to the fender. I just need to get a u bend made to connect to the IC

sorcereur

MKIII Revolution Inc.
Mar 31, 2005
NC
GrimJack said:
Out for a test run.

I had my boost set to just under fuel cut, even when power shifting from 1st to second with the old setup. I get the car warmed up and drop the hammer... and run smack into FC in a big way. 3rd, 4th, and 5th all cut. Hell, 2nd will cut if I go from decel to accel hard.

So... at the same boost level, this quickie mod obviously flows significantly more air than that awful twisted mess that went through the fender. I'll have to turn the boost down some more!

Maybe boost leak? :rolleyes:

X

Xrated

The conduit is the same guage thickness as standard exhaust piping you would get at any muffler shop or auto supply. I believe it's 16 guage. The only difference is that this stuff is galvanized rather than aluminized as in exhaust piping.You wouldn't want to breath the smoke if you were to weld it as it is supposed to be very harmful on the lungs...we use soft couplers anyway as there's a big advantage in dissasembly to get the thing out of the way when you need to work on anything on that side of the engine! I've been using this piping system for an upper hardpipe for 2 years now and it works like a charm...(It was my idea all along but we don't want to brag here now do we..) I'd sure like to see how it was adapted for the 89+ stock IC though.
There's that 90 degree bend downward at the 89+ IC outlet. I use mine with an upgrade end to end IC that outlets in the same location as the stocker. The pipe works great great for either application... :D