Stock BOV not working?

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
Now that I have a supra again, its been a long time since I'v had one of these with all stock parts. I'm wondering if my stock blow off valve is working properly or if boost is blowing straight out of it. When you take the stock BOV off should you be able to blow straight through it with no resistance or not? My thinking is that I shouldn't be able to blow through it, however, I can. So does this mean that boost is going straight back into my intake pipe? I started looking for a boost leak because the car doesn't pull very hard, and it wont hit more than 4-5 psi and it takes forever to hit 5psi. and I'v shimmed the waste gate twice now and the boost still wont go up past 5psi. Since the car still runs and drives just fine I started thinking maybe the leak was in the recirculated system aka the bov. Just let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

shipkiller

Sep 16, 2010
Quebec
if you blow in it it is supposed to be closed shut. the spring hold the valve closed in place, unless there is a source of vacuum pulling on it

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
would i be able to get one of these at auto zone? if so does anyone know the part number? I tried looking on there site but couldnt find anything

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Junkyard would be a better option tbh. That or ebay. Its not a common part for parts stores to stock, being part of a boosted setup.

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
Another question, I'v always had manual cars, so with an auto is the recirculating bov really needed? I wont be losing boost inbetween gears and such.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
toyotanos;1795458 said:
Junkyard would be a better option tbh. That or ebay. Its not a common part for parts stores to stock, being part of a boosted setup.

+1 To that! $5 at the local pick-a-part for a Saab BPV, and it works just fine.

suprafanatic;1795459 said:
Another question, I'v always had manual cars, so with an auto is the recirculating bov really needed? I wont be losing boost inbetween gears and such.

Yes you'll still need it. You may not hear it as often, but whenever your foot comes off the gas, your BPV is working.

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
ok thanks for the info. around my area we dont have much of a junk yard nor would cars like that be in the junk yard around here lol. also i dont have paypal or ebay accounts anymore.. so not sure what to do.