Stinger connection help!...

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
For you guys that are running a stinger standalone what cable are you using and what are all of your computer settings and everything? I'm using the PnP harness from DM along with there usb/serial cable and an inline female/female gender changer and I'm having a hell of a time getting anything to hook up:aigo:. I have my other single upgrade thread with a little more info about whats going on, I just want to know what I am missing:cry:.

Help would be greatly appreciated, i've been trying everything...I'll attach a pic below of the gender changer I am using.
p1307013_1.jpg

Thanks in advance.

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Drivers. USB to serial conversion is not hardware based. Its all software based, so many drivers are very flakey at best. All i can suggest is try a different set of drivers if you can, or buy a whole new (different brand) usb to serial converter untill you find one that works.

I wish all the stand alone manufacturers would just add the usb to the ecus. serial is a dead technology now, what are they waiting for?

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
pbasil1;1307820 said:
Drivers. USB to serial conversion is not hardware based. Its all software based, so many drivers are very flakey at best. All i can suggest is try a different set of drivers if you can, or buy a whole new (different brand) usb to serial converter untill you find one that works.

I wish all the stand alone manufacturers would just add the usb to the ecus. serial is a dead technology now, what are they waiting for?

So basically a driver and cable that works for one person may not work for the next with a different standalone? I was informed it's the db9 serial cable that is the finicky part and only the one that's provided with the stinger will work...is that not the case?

My PC sees the usb/serial cable and tells me it was successfully installed running through the driver.:aigo:

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Bigzavs;1308010 said:
ill take a pic of the cable adapter i used for ya today

Cool man thanks, I'm about to give Aaron a call and get the serial cable that comes with the stinger see if that may help me out. I tried a radio shack one with no luck.

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
ya a normal serial cable wont work on it

the cable is pinned differently than a normal cable (friends dad took it to work and they checked mine and then re-pinned his)

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Bigzavs;1308323 said:
ya a normal serial cable wont work on it

the cable is pinned differently than a normal cable (friends dad took it to work and they checked mine and then re-pinned his)

Ok I gotcha now, do you know the purpose behind them doing it that way? Nothings worked I'm just worried this one wont too, but it sounds like I'll have good luck with the one I'm getting from Aaron at DM. Because my PC does see my the usb/serial adapter cable I just need the correct serial cable.

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
I received the cable today from Aaron and it did work correctly it's enabled my PC to see the stinger. Now I'm stuck, the screen pops up when it finds the ecu "read from ecu" with yes or no. If I select yes nothing happens and it knocks the ecu offline. If I click no then it will say COMMUNICATING it will stay connected then say ECU LOCKED in the bottom right hand corner, but I will still be connected.

If i "write to ecu" i will see it trying to load in the bottom but when I try to read from it nothing comes up. I tried to erase the ecu to see if there was a password saved in it but that didn't do anything, and I cannot apply a new password to verify it will unlock.

Any ideas?:1zhelp:

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
Mine was not working at all with Stinger software version 3 then I tried version 4 and I have no problems. Well sometimes it locks up but not very often.

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
So I gave EMS USA a call and it sounds like to us both as though the ecu got locked up and I cannot work with it. I sent it out today and will be there by 3pm tomorrow, so hopefully by the end of the week they'll be able to figure out if they can fix it or if it has to go out to EMS Australia:kickinthenuts:.

So in the mean time I'm just waiting, hopefully I can get it all settled up shortly with no major issues. I'll have to wait for a call:word8kn:.

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Well I talked to EMS USA today because I sent it to them to see what was up they couldn't figure it out so It's getting sent to Australia:ugh2:. In the mean time they are gonna send me another one for a price, and send mine out to Australia to figure out whats going on with the one I received, and credit me for that repair as they will just keep that one for themselves.

Guess it's why you shouldn't trust ebay members even with 100% feedback:bigun2:.

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
10secdream;1315858 said:
It is good to hear that AEM is supporting you and even offered to get you running quicker with a replacement. That is the service I like to hear!

Exactly what I told him, it's very much appreciated.