Still sputtering after all kinds of parts swapped!

freakmachine

Feb 20, 2006
la mirada, ca.
WTF!!!!!! this one has got my feather all ruffled, my 89 mk3 developed a sputter @ about half throttle it started with a slight poping and sputtering @ idle then it got worse it started to do the same thing through out the power band from about 2,500 to 3,000 rpm and on out.
I first changed the spark plug wires and plugs gaped them to 31 and in they went, still same sputter, changed the fuel filter (factory), still same thing sputter. Change the coils, nothing still sputter. changed fpr (factory) same thing SPUTTER!, instaled a sun hyper voltage/grounding kit, still same thing, pulled out a set of lucas 550 injectors i had purchased from eko ramedan. took them down to rc(great people) to have them serviced purchased the nessesary clips instaled them along with a lex afm i had and FUCK!!!!!!!!!, STILL SPUTTERS FROM ABOUT 2500RPM...........I do have a holly fuel pump that is probably a year old, top cat is gone middle is still there, hk$ so called filter, & apex-i exhaust.
I don't think that my fuel pump would go bad that quick. could it? Everything was fine until i ran some hi test gas and some stp octane booster, that when this whole problem started. After i instaled the 550's and the lex afm the car run excellent @ idle and @ cruise speed but half throttle sputter sputter again. grimjack, 1jz, and the rest of all you boyz out there what in the name o' toyota is going on with my ride. do you think maybe the fuel pump could have been damaged by running the fuel cocktail ruined it? I just don't get it. the only thing i noticed after the fuel & afm upgrade is hi idle, other then that it runs excellent till i rev 2500 in second and forget it puff putt sputter. Its not a back fire its a sputter.:cry: :1zhelp: :bigun2:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
muppets2.jpg

Is the popping in the muffler or intake manifold?

freakmachine

Feb 20, 2006
la mirada, ca.
I think walking in front of a speeding train is less trouble.

It did kick out #51 & #71 prior to any work, but according to the manual

those are egr & ac codes.

The reason i changed so many parts is that my uncle has a 91 turbo parts

laying around and he lets me take what ever i need.

Also i have not checked the timing becouse i have not moved it, but i'll

check it today. Idle is a little hi since 550's and lex afm but other than that

the car runs smooth, and just nomal driving i can really notice the increase

power, I think it has to do with new injector o ring and insulators the old

ones were like hard plastic. I'm going to try the unthinkable and (try) to

post some pitures. I know it human nature to hate and clown on others

down falls but i need some expert advice so i can resume spangkin wrong

wheel drive whips. whats up primo hope napa was nice! cheers........

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Got a wideband? I'd check to see if you are going lean/rich.

If you've got a 550/Lex combo, usually one uses an SAFC to tune it :)

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
Doward said:
Got a wideband? I'd check to see if you are going lean/rich.

If you've got a 550/Lex combo, usually one uses an SAFC to tune it :)

I agree.....You have to take this to a dyno to fix the a/f to make it driveable. YOu can't just slap 550s/Lexus afm and expect your car to drive like it was from factory. It may do well when cruising and idling, but it will definitely not act right when boosting or driving agressively.

Spend the 200 dollars and get an safc-II or anything similar and get it tuned... first.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
suprastanger507mgte said:
I agree.....You have to take this to a dyno to fix the a/f to make it driveable. YOu can't just slap 550s/Lexus afm and expect your car to drive like it was from factory. It may do well when cruising and idling, but it will definitely not act right when boosting or driving agressively.

Spend the 200 dollars and get an safc-II or anything similar and get it tuned... first.

you should be made read only.

many many many people do put in 550s and a lexus afm and have NEAR STOCK driveability. if you knew anything about the history of that mod then you would know that.

this guys problem is most likely NOT something to be solved with an SAFC.

to the OP: what you NEED to do is use the troubleshooting section in the TSRM. if you are not comfortable doing that, then find a good mechanic and take the car to him.

freakmachine

Feb 20, 2006
la mirada, ca.
Hey lagged thanks for that, doing research on the lex/550's combo.

its close to what it should be far as fuel air ratio and i totaly agree i do

need a wide

band sensor and a safc to tune it right but this problem started before the

upgrades, i know " you should have fixed the problem before any upgrade"

I thought that by putting in fresh injector and seals it was bound to help if

not fix the problem. I just checked the timing and its right @ 10,

I also have a holly 255 fuel pump thats been in for around a year, I

understand that some menbers have had problem with these aftermaket

pumps any idea how much pressure these pumps should be putting out?

i'll be going to sear shortly to buy a fuel press. gauge maybe i'll find some there.

Also i cleared the codes and it still shoot #71 think thats the ac one.:3d_frown:

freakmachine

Feb 20, 2006
la mirada, ca.
I agree lagged, and i am not giving up till its fixed.

them i'm selling the muthashutyomouth! and and and and! dont know?

ZO6?????? ALL kiding aside thanks for the support.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
dude i bet you have arkign plug wire or you one of you coil packs is not up to par or you got falued plug withc can even happen when there new

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
My car has a Lexus AFM and 550cc injectors, no SAFC or any aftermarket electronics, my car drives as good as stock or better. Stock ECU, stock electronics, stock fuel pump, it runs great, and there's no reason it shouldn't, that's the whole point of the Lexus AFM/550cc upgrade.