Still having lean issues...

Enano

Sep 3, 2012
Miami, FL
Also, if anyone has any idea:

When I unplug the IACV while the car is running nothing happens but the idle stays at the idle RPM it was at when I unplugged it. If I turn the car off and on after unplugging it, it will go crazy surging from like 2k to 3k rpm and sometimes it just completely dies after revving a few times by itself.

Is that normal?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Thats because when you unplug it it stays at the position it was at when you unplugged it. when you turn the car off the ecu commands it to be at fully open.

Enano

Sep 3, 2012
Miami, FL
I understand what you're saying, but if I unplug it while the car is running and turn the car off while it is unplugged, shouldn't it remain at the position it was at while the car was running and not fully open? There is nothing electrical telling it to open/close after I turn it off?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Yes. But the ecu still thinks its plugged in and now has no control over idle. Without an the correct electrical source that iac will not move.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Enano;2030422 said:
..... If I turn the car off and on after unplugging it, it will go crazy surging from like 2k to 3k rpm and sometimes it just completely dies after revving a few times by itself. Is that normal?

No. With a fixed amount of bypass air the engine should run at a constant rpm. It's no different than if you held the throttle open a fixed amount.

Enano

Sep 3, 2012
Miami, FL
So after moving around the harness near the injectors, I now have a code 31 (afm). Every time i move the harness up/down the car dies almost instantly sometimes it struggles to stay on. Im guessing a wire that has to do with afm is bad somewhere in there and is causing all my problems?

Edit: if i unplug the afm while the car is at full lean it will start running at 10.0-10.3 but i cant get it to turn off while moving the harness although it does affect it

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Enano;2030503 said:
Every time i move the harness up/down the car dies almost instantly sometimes it struggles to stay on. Im guessing a wire that has to do with afm is bad somewhere in there and is causing all my problems?

You did what is called the wiggle test.

Enano

Sep 3, 2012
Miami, FL
Turns out when I did my injectors I had taken off the bolt on the IM that holds the two grounds cables. I used the wrong length bolt and it was tight already and since I had done it at night, I thought the cables were firm against the manifold. They had about 1/4 inch play and was causing all my problems. Car runs like a dream now.