Sticking 550 ND injectors

Curious if anyone has experienced sticking ND injectors as I have. The car is not used very often. In winter or poor weather, I start it up once every two weeks, and float charge the battery at other times.

Quite often a misfire on one cylinder occurs if not started every couple of days. Usually it disappears in a few seconds. Today, it persisited. The exhaust did not smell of fuel, so my best guess was a sticking injector. A couple of light taps with a hammer and 1/2" socket extension on the fuel rail cured the problem.

The injectors were bought new from GReddy. They should not leak during periods of shutdown. Thus, there should be no gum from stale fuel present to cause the sticking. Moreover, the misfire occurs on only one cylinder. The fuel is high quality BP-Amoco.

Any and all replies would be appreciated. Have a good memorial day weekend.

BernieK
'91T, non-targa, refreshed JDM, Walbro, Lex, 550cc ND injectors, 57 trim turbo at 17 PSI (at 3000 pipe), '98 wheels and engine mounts (strong!), Lipp, modified stock FPR, Treadstone IC, hardpipes, Cometic, ARP, Random Tech 3" single cat downpipe, HKS LE-T16 exhaust, Cometic, ARP, Exedy organic clutch (street use), Cr-Mo light flywheel, Raptor BOV (recirculated), deflashed valve bowls, exhaust helicoils, tower strut.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
+1 on the fuel injector cleaner. Shit happens, all the time. Anyway, it's good to do this periodically, and usually helps to clean deposits on the valves as well.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I would bypass all that, pull them out, and send them to RC Engineering for cleaning. Then you KNOW they're working properly, and they come with a flow sheet.