Rotors warped?
Ball joints?

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Its definately in the tires because I did another pass on my street tires (a story in and of itself :p ) and no vibrations. I'll be checking the tires for runot and road force variations tomorrow at work. I'm thinking they were set on the ground for storage and not inflated :( Oh well, time for some radials (better stability, I hope)

Here- read this timeslip and tell me what you think happened. *street tires on this run. It was, BY FAR, the most fun I had all weekend. SRT4 is a buddy's car.
p1728298_1.jpg

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Ding ding ding!
Plus I short shifted 2+3 so I dropped out of boost D: It was a blast chasing him down- I'll say it again, by FAR my favorite time had his weekend :D

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Sucks about the bad tires - but that's a pretty decent time! Also sucks about your transmission - think you'll have it fixed in time for the meet?

I'm really bummed I wasn't able to make it to Brainerd, I'm kicking myself for not clearing my weekend so I could go still.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Eh, it still shifts into all the gears, its just when I'm pushing it that it acts up. 205,000 miles will do that sometimes :p Thinking about either a built R154 or a T56 swap. Need to do much more research beforehand because I would love to keep my ABS and speedo operational...

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
I'd vote built R154 - I think the T56 uses a digital speedo signal, so that would be a spendy changeover. Also, I know Rob's T56 in the V hasn't been the most robust thing ever, might not be worth the extra effort vs. R154.

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
Funny... same ET at 1/4 (approx) despite 2 seconds slower! HA!

My first run in my Supra about a dozen or more years ago... and I spun 1st/2nd and barked 3rd hard with VR rated tires @44psi pressure (I didn't know any better!) and I ran a very low 13 second pass at 117+mph. Similar to your first slip!

NOTE: My 60' time was JUST OVER 3 sec. on that attempt, too! Making it all up at top! HA!

-crisp

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
crisp;1728397 said:
Funny... same ET at 1/4 (approx) despite 2 seconds slower! HA!

My first run in my Supra about a dozen or more years ago... and I spun 1st/2nd and barked 3rd hard with VR rated tires @44psi pressure (I didn't know any better!) and I ran a very low 13 second pass at 117+mph. Similar to your first slip!

NOTE: My 60' time was JUST OVER 3 sec. on that attempt, too! Making it all up at top! HA!

-crisp

Heh, I had +10mph and a slower ET......

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
So I found out what I suspect was causing the vibration today. I think I neglected to balance the tires when I mounted them to the rims. :/
Threw then up on the balancer today and found some very interesting results: LH rim needed 5.5oz, RH needed 9oz wheel weights :O Kinda of a WTF moment when I realized it but oh well! Next Wednesday night drags I should have some better results (even though the track prep is less awesome, I hope the mph gets to where it should be) Just gotta find some MT90 to try before that, see if this trans is savable or if I need to think about stuff.

Mike- no auto! Auto trans --> ('x_x)G-(._.Q) <-- Mah car! :p

In actual car progress news, I have pulled the tank down, as well as the upper intake to prepare for the fuel pumps to be installed! Extra bonus: Interior is mostly stripped, so that will make running the new voltage supply wire that much easier!

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Yup yup, that's me- cool deal! Thanks for taking/posting the video! Oh and btw, apparantly I'm a Nissan- LOL!

EDIT: after lurking a bit, I realized you got the race between Sean (funky_monkey58) and I when he was driving Dan's (leecheater) car AWESOMESAUCE!

dunnbeetle

Dec 11, 2005
Bemidji, MN
www.myspace.com
toyotanos;1728957 said:
Yup yup, that's me- cool deal! Thanks for taking/posting the video! Oh and btw, apparantly I'm a Nissan- LOL!

EDIT: after lurking a bit, I realized you got the race between Sean (funky_monkey58) and I when he was driving Dan's (leecheater) car AWESOMESAUCE!

Lol we kept walking back and forth from drag to drift, but I had my eye on the strip non stop waiting for the supras to run. You have no idea how bad I want my car done now after seeing you guys drive. Keep up the good work!

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Too bad your not closer to NY, I'd rebuild that R154 for you, just buy all the parts and a case of beer.

If you want to build it yourself, it is not bad at all. I did not really go by the TSRM for disassembly and I lost an oval locking ball so I had to get one from the dealer.

The hardest part is remembering how the gears go and pictures and with a good work bench where you can lay everything out in order. I am sure you have a press, our press was a smaller version and we just bought steel plates and made a stand to make it easier to press out all the bearings and gears.

Your catch can is almost done. :)

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Yeah, with 205k on the whole drivetrtain, I'm more likely to get a new/used/lower mileage one and put money into that vs this one. Its been odd ever since I've owned it, even compared to other R154's I've driven. I just didn't help it live any longer than it could have :evil2:

You wanna talk about remembering where stuff goes? Standard transmissions/transaxles are a cakewalk compared to automagic transmissions imo...

Status
Not open for further replies.