Steve's mildly out-of-control build

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Nice. I don't like those kind of composite material gaskets and Aaron agrees with me too. I bought the stainless steel ones that vibrant makes. They work very well.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Agreed. I go either factory graphite or an MLS. Rich has a cometic one, might be the same thing as vibrant's? Either way its just a plan for the future- I have a .81 T-4 exhaust housing with a 3" v-band coming with my turbo planning for it :)

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
hahaha yeah I saw that. Is the manifold exactly as pictured? If so, I too am interested in one haha. I like where the wastegate pops up and I like that it's undivided. I need that for my QSV. And my Holset I just picked up came stock with a T4 divided inlet :)

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
I sure hope the mani is still available- it does look sweet! Found it in a year-old SF thread and RR came up as either stocking it or making it. IDK how, but I want one. That or I'mma have to shell out some serious cash for sethron's one he has for sale right now...

That said, My suspension stuff is all installed- rerar shocks got installed tonight, just need to make sure the alignment adjusters aren't seized and go align it once the turbo gets back! :D :) ;)

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
toyotanos;1692850 said:
I sure hope the mani is still available- it does look sweet! Found it in a year-old SF thread and RR came up as either stocking it or making it. IDK how, but I want one. That or I'mma have to shell out some serious cash for sethron's one he has for sale right now...

That said, My suspension stuff is all installed- rerar shocks got installed tonight, just need to make sure the alignment adjusters aren't seized and go align it once the turbo gets back! :D :) ;)

My old manifold is just like that only hand fabbed in ameerica!

Redfury11

Mar 19, 2011
Modesto, CA
hey couple questions new supra owner. at the beginning of your build you asked about using the plug and play ecm from AEM . did you get the plug n play or the standalone system, and what harness did you get with it an actual AEM harness or supra harness?
thanks justin

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Hiya Justn, I am using the AEM plug-n-play EMS. I got a new 89 harness and stripped it o the wires I was no longer going to use (cold start injector, MAF sensor, VSV's, etc) I also wired it up for sequential injection at the same time as well as installing new injector clips and such. It was about 10 hours of labor to get it all done and wrapped up nicely, but IMO it was well worth it. I also had the use of wiring diagrams at the same time so that made things so much easier!

The best thing I did was install a DH61 ignitor from a Lexus IS300. The problems I had read about were related to the stock turbo ignitor- which uses a multiplex signal. That signal is very hard to reproduce and it causes misfire and such. Highly recommended mod if you go AEM!!!

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
IBoughtASupra;1693533 said:
JZ coils are better. Everything JZ is better. :D

Just got my rotors today. Those things are huge man.

JZ blah blah, JZ baller, blah blah ;)

I agree that the rotors are enormous! They look so good installed too. I can't wait to get the car on the road to see how they feel! Oh, and might want to double-check your rear brakes, freshen them up at the same time...my calipers slides were seized :( But now they're all good :) New pads and machining the rotors today, all I need is a turbo to run the thing :D

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I have a order coming from Rock Auto with new suspension parts. Inner and outer tie rods, ball points, sway bar bushings, stabilizer links, rack and pinion boots and rear caliper rebuild kits as well. I like having good brakes. :)

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Good brakes are good :)
Especially when the fronts are waaaaaaaaaaaay better than the OEM's ever were! ;)

I highly advise buying either syl-glide or a synthetic caliper grease for the caliper pins/slides (the points covered with boots) and nickel anti-sieze for the caliper mount lubrication (where the pads touch the bracket). I have had nothing but great luck with that combo- even here in rustville, USA (aka MN)

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
The ARZ designed Wilwood front and rear kits are on my list of things to get when the car is running and over the years, but 2600 is a lot of money haha

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
IMO the fronts are the most important. The rears work pretty well stock, just not as many pistons/even pad loading. The rears would be great in a track car application, but for a street car I'm OK with OEM rears. (Plus oe's fit under 15" rims :evil2: )

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
IBoughtASupra;1694699 said:
Pretty badass. 2600 is cheaper than a Supra you put your hard work into. :D

Good point

toyotanos;1694720 said:
IMO the fronts are the most important. The rears work pretty well stock, just not as many pistons/even pad loading. The rears would be great in a track car application, but for a street car I'm OK with OEM rears. (Plus oe's fit under 15" rims :evil2: )

My car is factory non-ABS. I need the rear kit or else the brake balance will be drastically different and also quite dangerous. The front brakes will overpower the rears and the tail can kick out. I've had that happen on the street when I first bought my car in 08. The rear calipers were frozen so I essentially had no rear brakes. Slammed on them because someone pulled out and cut me off and I started drifting unintentionally.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Rob has already challenged a race with his V with the same goal! But sure, you can ride in my car...maybe whilst doing a tune :O ;)

---------- Post added at 02:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 PM ----------

Moy;1694726 said:
Good point

My car is factory non-ABS. I need the rear kit or else the brake balance will be drastically different and also quite dangerous. The front brakes will overpower the rears and the tail can kick out. I've had that happen on the street when I first bought my car in 08. The rear calipers were frozen so I essentially had no rear brakes. Slammed on them because someone pulled out and cut me off and I started drifting unintentionally.

Starting to like the fact my car is abs... That said, an adjustable proportioning valve isn't that expensive...

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
toyotanos;1694730 said:
Rob has already challenged a race with his V with the same goal! But sure, you can ride in my car...maybe whilst doing a tune :O ;)

---------- Post added at 02:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 PM ----------

Starting to like the fact my car is abs... That said, an adjustable proportioning valve isn't that expensive...

I am sure we could work something out. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.